MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Better no permission pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think there should be better No permission pages than the current one because user has no clue, why he isn't allowed to do an action.

If you visit a forum but you don't have permission to post thread. You get this error.
Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Mr Kewl'

You get the same error for whatever you do, but I think the message should give proper reasoning too.

Here's an example.

Quote:Your usergroup "Normal" does not have permission to "action" i.e "create threads in Rules section."

Another example
Quote:Your usergroup "Normal" doesn't have permission to give reputation points"

This is just a basic idea, but I'm tired of old permission page which doesn't give proper reasoning why a user can't perform particular action.
We won't be changing the permissions page in 1.8; you're free to change the language used in the messages either in the language files or in the quick phrases section of the ACP.
I can no doubt change the languages and messages, but the reason should be more specified.
Honestly, if you set up your forum properly there's pretty much no reason a user should encounter this page.
Well, I think this page will often be seen if you have profiles not visible for guests (fairly common practice) but you do allow guests to view content and have not gone through the entire board templates adding <if><else> statements to the profile links in posts etc.

That would be a nice feature - to have profile links only work for members.
(2012-08-20, 02:48 PM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]I can no doubt change the languages and messages, but the reason should be more specified.

Because of the length of time it will take to create and log each individual error with a message which could be shown to a user, this just simply isn't possible in the 1.x cycle.