MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New domain name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am changing my domain name (within the same host) but would like to keep my forum intact. In the Admin Cp I can go to Configuration ---- Settings ---- General Config ---- I can change the board and homepage URL there.

What else do I need to do besides change those? Is there a walkthrough I can follow somewhere?

Thanks a lot guys!
Make a full database back up.
Upload MyBB to your new site and than upload the full database.
Ok. I made a backup of MyBB (one to my laptop and one to the backup directory).

When you say upload MyBB to my new site do you just mean I need to install a new copy of MyBB on that site also?
Yes.
Make also sure you make a back up of the templates.
No, no, no, no. You don't need to backup MyBB if you are merely changing your domain and not hosting. Edit the URL/cookie setting in inc/settings.php ad the ACP and you're good to go. Michael84 is incorrect.
(2012-08-21, 02:14 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]No, no, no, no. You don't need to backup MyBB if you are merely changing your domain and not hosting. Edit the URL/cookie setting in inc/settings.php ad the ACP and you're good to go. Michael84 is incorrect.

Thanks for correcting me.
I always used this way.
And it's Michael94. Toungue
(2012-08-21, 02:14 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]No, no, no, no. You don't need to backup MyBB if you are merely changing your domain and not hosting. Edit the URL/cookie setting in inc/settings.php ad the ACP and you're good to go. Michael84 is incorrect.

Thanks for the correction. When I go to edit the settings.php it says "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, PLEASE USE THE SETTINGS EDITOR" - Where do I find the settings editor? Also, what did you mean by "ad the ACP"?

Does this mean I do not have to install a new version of MyBB as well?

Thanks for all the help.
(2012-08-21, 03:04 PM)behindthebets Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for the correction. When I go to edit the settings.php it says "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, PLEASE USE THE SETTINGS EDITOR" - Where do I find the settings editor? Also, what did you mean by "ad the ACP"?

Does this mean I do not have to install a new version of MyBB as well?

Thanks for all the help.
Indeed, you don't have to.
I was on my iPod earlier replying so that's why I couldn't explain very well and had typos Toungue

Basically all you need to do is what you said you were going to do: change the board URL, cookie domain, and cookie URL in the Admin Control Panel. Then you need to go to your hosting panel and point the new domain at your MyBB installation. It's that easy Smile
Cool. I think I got it. One last question though. I use Westhost and am not sure how to point the new domain at the MyBB installation. Where is that option usually located?

Thanks for all the help man. You are a life-saver!

(2012-08-21, 05:59 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I was on my iPod earlier replying so that's why I couldn't explain very well and had typos Toungue

Basically all you need to do is what you said you were going to do: change the board URL, cookie domain, and cookie URL in the Admin Control Panel. Then you need to go to your hosting panel and point the new domain at your MyBB installation. It's that easy Smile
Pages: 1 2