MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom fields for message posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For my use, others may benefit as well, it would be great if custom fields could be created that could be required to be completed when posting a message. Or make a poll for each individual posting.

Perhaps this is something way out of the scope of what MyBB was ever designed to do, I don't know.

Any new post would be like filling out the information on a form with additional comments available. Say there is a post for a camping trip.

Do you have a [] tent [] trailer [] don't have either
What Month would best for you? June, July, August (radio button)

Thanks
Dan
You should try XThreads:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

Imo, that's what you are askin for. Smile
I like this idea. For 2.0, however.
I really think this kind of features belongs as a plugin rather than being in the core. XThreads does a great job of it for the 1.x series as said above.
(2012-08-24, 03:23 PM)loveley Wrote: [ -> ]You should try XThreads:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

Imo, that's what you are askin for. Smile

Thank you for the suggestion. I had come across XThreads but it didn't appear to be a plugin and read like you better have some skills behind you in order to implement it.

My assumption is, if there wasn't enough interest in the feature XThreads would never have been created and if there was that much interest it might get added in as part of the core so that custom fields for postings would be as easy to include as custom fields are for profiles.

Dan
(2012-08-25, 02:46 AM)Dan_Westlake Wrote: [ -> ]My assumption is, if there wasn't enough interest in the feature XThreads would never have been created and if there was that much interest it might get added in as part of the core (..)

It could be said about any plugin. Smile
(2012-08-26, 03:56 PM)loveley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-25, 02:46 AM)Dan_Westlake Wrote: [ -> ]My assumption is, if there wasn't enough interest in the feature XThreads would never have been created and if there was that much interest it might get added in as part of the core (..)

It could be said about any plugin. Smile

That is true. I use another script and two plugins with it. I could be wrong but I believe the reason the plugins come about is because whoever is developing the project may not have the time so those who can program create it.

I believe another reason is a person who can program wants the feature, creates for themselves and then releases it just in case someone else wants to use it.

The problem that can arise with plugins is the core script gets updated and then the plugin also needs to be updated to work with the new version. I've been on many sites where I see plugins listed for other scripts that haven't been updated in quite some time and the current version of the core script is much newer.
I wanted to say that, if "My assumption is, if there wasn't enough interest in the feature XThreads would never have been created and if there was that much interest it might get added in as part of the core (..)" would be a good enough reason for implementing feature into core then mybb would need to implement thousands and thousands of features.

I think XThreads should not be a core feature as it's very specific feature not everyone uses. It's nice as plugin but not as core feature.
xThreads is quite a big feature. I'm not sure if they'll add this as core. It will be better suited as plugin.
(2012-08-27, 09:13 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]xThreads is quite a big feature. I'm not sure if they'll add this as core. It will be better suited as plugin.

You may very well be correct. I might take a run at seeing if I can install it and get it to do what I want for a project I'm trying to set up.