MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update from 1.66 - 168
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to update to 1.68 but am affraid to loose all my design modification I made on SimpleCorp skin.. How do I securly backup this and run update in order to get 1.68

Previously any update tools have messed my system up

Please help!
Follow the upgrade guide in the wiki. Backup your database and files then run the upgrade script.
Quote:then run the upgrade script.

I know how to update, but I do not know how to backup my template/theme so that I do not loose my modification to the global css file, header etc..

I do not know which files to backup and the case is that upgrade script just reverts everything to default, well it did this the last time I used it..

PS. Thanks for the assist
(2012-08-24, 06:26 PM)Tom Knudsen Wrote: [ -> ]I know how to update, but I do not know how to backup my template/theme so that I do not loose my modification to the global css file, header etc..
The theme is stored in the database.
(2012-08-24, 06:26 PM)Tom Knudsen Wrote: [ -> ]I do not know which files to backup and the case is that upgrade script just reverts everything to default, well it did this the last time I used it..
The upgrade script doesn't revert anything.
Backup the database and all your files, as I said. The upgrade script should not revert any changes at all, but we always advise a backup just in case.
Ok thank you very much..
Revert may be the wrong word, but I read the wiki now and it said that it changes the templates and I can use DIFF function to see what has been changed. Is it fare to say that I can select those diff files and revert them back to what they where before the update, or will this just remove any neccesary changes?

I will try to do the following now

Close the forum with a .htaccess deny from all except my self
Download everything from the http folder online to a folder on my HD
Do a backup of the database both to online directory and to disk (just to be sure)
Backup just the CSS and template files to a seperate folder

Then run the update script

And finally first try the diff changes function, it that works, great, if not I try first to copy back the CSS and template before I re-upload the old files and conclude that the upgrade did not work sort of speak..

http://www.simnor.no/forum (this is how I want it to look after the upgrade)
it only changes the default/master templates and does/should not effect your custom templates. that way you can do a DIFF and see what may have been changed in each template
ok, thans for the suggestions and tips, will see how it goes..

Worked like a charm, thanks a lot guys..