MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: private & public chat plugin development (Node.js)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place but seems like the best option (it's not a plugin request or a release so...).

We have developed a facebook like chat for mybb. But better Cool
[Image: file.php?id=1918]

Why better? Because we use websockets and Node.js, so the chat is real time, we don't use http request-response system (no more auto ddos attacks...).

The chat works, but we've never released a plugin for mybb (in fact I'm still a phpbb3 admin/user). We need help so we can convert our "home made plugin" into a real plugin everybody can use and install.

That means we have to translate (it is in Spanish) a few things, add some options in ACP/UCP to see the last conversations, change global chat settings... write documentation and test in different environments.

And I'm also thinking of making a "hosted" solution, because the chat uses Node.js and people probably don't have access to their server and can not install node.

If you think you can help please send me a PM. What we need is someone with experience with mybb plugins and javascript.

Thanks!

PS: I also have a small Android app that connects to the chat server. It is still under development, but it works.
I forgot something important, the plan is to release this plugin (once finished of course) under a free software license (GPL or similar).
nobody? really? I thought this plugin would be interesting...
Well, I will use it in my forum until I have enough time and experience to publish it or a PM comes xD
that's will be nice...i will wait til it release
I worked on something like this a while back (ChitChat plugin), except I used Python/gevent on the server side, instead of Node.js. I gave up on it because there were too many issues, esp. if the server is not hosted on the same ip/domain as the forum; browsers are picky/restrictive with websockets, ajax, json-long polling, etc. In the end it just wasn't worth the effort for me anymore.

Maybe node.js + a JS client library that takes all of this hassle out of your hands, will do a better job for you there. Best of luck anyway.
It would be a great chat plugin to have. I'm currently running two chatbox plugin in my forum. Because, the one that give me variety of smiles, text color choices, font choices doesn't have enough commands to fully support it. (Mainly because it can't make private messaging.) The other chatbox has pm function so it's use for private messages.

This plugin will solve all my problems, it seems. If users can enable/disable the sound alert like Facebook does than it would be perfect.Smile
it already has a "disable sound" button.
I can give you a test account if you are interested so you can see how it looks and how fast it works.

There is no alpha version released yet, as I said it is still a "just for me" plugin, no language support, code commented but not documented... I am still learning how mybb plugins work.