MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sig Line Advertising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently noticed something. A user in my forum added a sig line promoting his forum. He used regular text, and had the name followed by a brief description. Every time I read one of his messages, my eyes would just continue to the sig line and I'd read it too. But here and elsewhere, with sig lines that have graphics, large text, or no description, my eye passes right over them without them registering. Maybe this is because it is clearly not part of the message, while normal sized text sort of looks like it is.

After I noticed that, I changed my sig line here from a graphic to my forum name plus description. And I notice that when I reread one of my messages, my eye continues to the sig line, even though I know what is says.

I don't know if I'm unusual with this. But it's worth pondering. Maybe a simple sentence gets the point across better.
this is partly why I changed the signature template on my site to wrap it in a <fieldset> tag

<br /><br />
<br /><br /><fieldset style="margin: 0 auto;">
{$post['signature']}
</fieldset>
You can apply a opacity to the signature too, just wrap it into a <div> tag and apply the style to it.
(2012-08-31, 04:07 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]this is partly why I changed the signature template on my site to wrap it in a <fieldset> tag

Does that change the way it looks? What does this do?
I have my signatures use the smalltext class. It seems to do the trick.
I was trying to say it's a good thing. It helps people advertise their sites, without a jumbo banner or lots of tricks. I'm getting the feeling people don't like this.
Oh, I did not realize that, haha...
Default MyBB theme has a HR tag before the signature but some themes remove it. Or maybe if the theme is a very dark background and the HR tag isn't changed then it's also not well seen.

In any case altering signature is fairly simple with MyBB if you feel the need to make it more pronounced.
Here can we promote our website???