MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ways for normal users to spot fake dice roll? (RPG)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Plugin address:http://mods.mybb.com/change-log/dymy-dice
Within the power of this dice roll plugin, can you find a method to identify if someone's is cheating?

I think the most common way people can cheat with this command would be just straight out typing the result from posting a real code without actually posting the code to let the diceroller do its job.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example on what I'm saying:

Instead of typing in: /roll 1d6 (this means roll a single 6 sided dice.

Players can just type the result with a cheated roll count:

1d6 rolled for a total of: 6 (6)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please know that I'm not asking for a modified version of this, or for you to create a plugin.

I would think this is possible because, I read a conversation between someone who created a dice roller with a user, the conversation took place on Giant In the Playground, a RPG forum.
"Soo the little "* post roll count doesn't match database" message indicates potential cheating?"

Creater replied: "correct" I absolutely don't understand what they're saying. [Image: 2563880-plugin.jpg]

And another user on the forum suggested he could detect cheating if he quote the cheated dice roll.[Image: 2563881-dice.jpg]

I tried this method and it didn't work with the plugin I'm using.

I'm running a Roleplaying forum so to learn a method to detect cheat means everything to me...
http://slasher.hostoi.com/
Those posts seem to be talking about a different plugin.

With the one you linked to, there is no way to prevent cheating whatsoever.
(2012-09-01, 11:24 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Those posts seem to be talking about a different plugin.

With the one you linked to, there is no way to prevent cheating whatsoever.

Is there an easy coding method I can do to the plugin and give it the ability to view a hidden message if a user quote a real dice roll?

And the fake dice roll won't have a message so you'll know it's a cheated roll?
It's not easy to fix. You'd have to find another plugin or write a new one with cheating in mind.

Preventing cheating isn't that easy - people could just edit the post, or if that was prevented somehow, delete their post and repost in order to reroll.

I guess this plugin is intended for simple / just for fun forum games, not for anything serious that would require a complicated anticheat system...
(2012-09-01, 11:56 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]It's not easy to fix. You'd have to find another plugin or write a new one with cheating in mind.

Preventing cheating isn't that easy - people could just edit the post, or if that was prevented somehow, delete their post and repost in order to reroll.

I guess this plugin is intended for simple / just for fun forum games, not for anything serious that would require a complicated anticheat system...

I have a game room forum set in place to prevent players to edit or delete their post, they're safe from these two methods of cheating as long as they stay in that forum.

If there's a simple way to do this, that I can just install a hidden "confirm" message in the roll code, and by quoting someone's dice post, if the "confirm" didn't appear, I can assume the player is cheating.

Would it be possible for someone like me (a noob) to code a hidden message that will appear when it gets quote?