MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Double question marks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does any else have double question marks inserted into their posts after the upgrade?

Example:
supposed to be tough for machines.??I really didn't have much choice.??My power
OH yeah...they're everywhere...and that really sucks when you have a bunch of stories posted on your forum, and all those ?? make it really hard to read them! Jeesh!

I've had to edit and copy and paste a lot of them! I don't think there's a fix for them though! Short of asking Crakter if his stupid posts plug in can be modified to remove double question marks! LOL
I have been editing them too but I gave up. TOO MANY OF THEM! I remember the slash marks that were inserted all over the place in a previous upgrade and someone wrote a script to fix them.

Can someone please do this?
Maybe this should be moved to the bug reports forum so that the problem gets fixed by the myBB team. This really shouldn't be a job for third-party developers.
It's a problem with converting over to UTF-8. Unfortunate the double quote doesn't have the same numeric representation in ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1).

First you need to tell MySQL to use UTF-8 on your tables. Next you need to convert existing data into UTF-8.
I edited all my posts for signs like é that were replaced by ? it took me about an hour. Sad

I hope I don't have to restore a database, since the problem will be back then. Toungue
This is about double quotes? Good lord...brings up the question why the code was changed??? Though I don't think that's entirely accurate. I've noticed them replacing spaces! Did the code on that change as well? Jeesh!

By the way, wasn't mysql told to do this conversion during the upgrade?  If not, I can't help but wonder if a patch will be released to fix this???????