MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help resetting admin password on old MyBB 1.4 forum offline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a way to reset the admin password directly in MySQL with an old (offline) installation of MyBB 1.4. I forgot the admin password I had used some years back (the forum was taken offline, but I now am thinking of bringing it back to life.)

I tried creating a new user and then using MySQL directly to copy the password and salt and loginkey from the new user to the admin user, but that doesn't work.

Is there a way to reset the admin password directly in MySQL? I don't have access to e-mail in the offline installation (for resetting password) but I have full access to the database. I am testing on my local machine, so I don't want to upload everything to a hosting service before I fix this issue.

I want to upgrade it to MyBB 1.6 but before that I want to get back as admin user.
Run this query on the database:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `salt` = '', `password` = md5('mypassword') WHERE `uid` = x; 

Replace mypassword with your new password and x with your user id. Smile
Thanks. I had deleted the contents of 'loginkey' before. That's why it probably did not work. I restored the backup again and now it works!