MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Individual FORUM designs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,

I am on the look out for a decent Forum software, and MyBB is looking like the strongest contender - I'm looking forward to using it, hopefully. I just need a few things clearing up Smile

For the forums, I'm going to be needing to customise the design - now I know that can be done extremely well with MyBB, but can you customise individual forums?
For example;
Can I have all the forums in one design, and then just 1 of the forums in a different design? (could this be done using IF?)

My aim is to then create the "illusion" they are in a different section to the normal forums as it would have custom buttons etc...
For example;
All the forums would be the usual classic layout with "new thread" buttons etc... but in that 1 forum that is different, it would have a button "new resource" button rather than "new thread" - can this be done also?

Finally...

I see File Attachments is allowed which is fantastic! However is there a method to allow Multiple File Attachments?

Many thanks in advance!!

Jonathan.
I'm sure it's possible but it would require some experience in theme making. I really can't help you but I'm sure Themefreak or Audentio would help you for a fee.
All of this can be done with a normal installation of MyBB and a plugin called Xthreads: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/index.php

The different forum design on a per-forum basis can be found in the settings while creating your specific forum. There should be a selection box to override a your default theme with a theme of your choice.

As for the "New Thread" button - since you're using a different theme, simply change the button to say "New Resource," since the theme used there will be using its own button set. If this isn't an option because you're going to use the second theme in more than 1 forum (and need the button to say different things), this is where xthreads comes in: set the Template Prefix for that specific forum to a custom prefix, copy the template you need changed, and make a new template with the prefix in the template name.

Example: yourprefix_forumdisplay_newthread will be the new template, with the same contents as your default forumdisplay_newthread, but modified to suit your needs.

Multiple files can be attached using the default File Attachment feature. Xthreads also has its own attachments, should you need to use that.

EDIT: Overall, what you're asking can all be done without Xthreads, but Xthreads is a really great plugin. It can make your life a lot easier when it comes to your forum.
Thank you to both of you.

Tecca a huge thank you for that extremely helpful reply, I've now installed MyBB and starting to set it up. It would only be the one forum that is different so I think I'll be OK to not install XThreads, however I'm still going to look into it and may install it.

Thanks everyone!

Jonathan.
You could always just include another stylesheet per page.