MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Difference in "sub" and "child" forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am guessing the difference is when deleting forums? Or is there other properties?
There isn't any difference.
A child- or sub forum is always nested inside another forum or category.

Try searching next time though -- http://community.mybb.com/thread-106795.html.
→ Parent forum/category
→ Child forum/in parent forum
→ Sub forum/in child forum

Only child forums can have sub forums not Parent forum/category. Smile
(2012-09-02, 10:19 PM)akito tenkawa Wrote: [ -> ]→ Parent forum/category

EXCELLENT!

You gave me a hint, there is a HUGE difference. It is demonstrated in the ACP. Especially when you have to keep track of FID, UID, and GID when you are using plugins that depend on ID.

thank you!
Glad I could help Smile

That's wrong. You can add a child forum to anything; a category, a forum, a sub forum too. So a child forum can be any forum which has a parent forum or category. Parent forums are the child to a category.

It's wrong that sub forums are only in child forums. Sub forums are the same as child forums. Try clicking sub forums on a category and you'll see parent forums.

(2012-09-02, 10:19 PM)akito tenkawa Wrote: [ -> ]Only child forums can have sub forums not Parent forum/category. Smile
That's completely wrong! Add a child forum to a category, then click sub forums on the category and you'll see the exact same child forum.

A child forum is the same as a sub forum.
(2012-09-03, 07:56 AM)KevinVR Wrote: [ -> ]

That's wrong. You can add a child forum to anything; a category, a forum, a sub forum too. So a child forum can be any forum which has a parent forum or category. Parent forums are the child to a category.

It's wrong that sub forums are only in child forums. Sub forums are the same as child forums. Try clicking sub forums on a category and you'll see parent forums.

(2012-09-02, 10:19 PM)akito tenkawa Wrote: [ -> ]Only child forums can have sub forums not Parent forum/category. Smile
That's completely wrong! Add a child forum to a category, then click sub forums on the category and you'll see the exact same child forum.

A child forum is the same as a sub forum.

KevinVR, I went through the online docs and found little if anything meaningful. I have to think there is a reason for the distinction. Do you have any links to coherent demonstration or example. I do feel I am correct in the "ID" conclusion. Not that I can demonstrate it, but another difference maybe in the fact you can hide "subforums" in the forum listing. I dont know if that applies to child fourums of subforums.

Thanks for keeping us straightExclamation
Postman, can you explain the ID thing? I'm not sure what you mean. The ID should always just be a number.. This is getting quite confusing though haha.

Basically a parent forum is a sub forum of a category, so there isn't really any distinction. The only thing which I can say is that a child forum of a parent forum can be hidden; I could say the same that a sub forum of a parent forum can be hidden because it's the same.

I've asked the opinion of another MyBB Developer and he confirmed me that a sub forum is the same as a child forum.
(2012-09-03, 02:51 PM)KevinVR Wrote: [ -> ]Postman, can you explain the ID thing? I'm not sure what you mean. The ID should always just be a number.. This is getting quite confusing though haha.

Basically a parent forum is a sub forum of a category, so there isn't really any distinction. The only thing which I can say is that a child forum of a parent forum can be hidden; I could say the same that a sub forum of a parent forum can be hidden because it's the same.

I've asked the opinion of another MyBB Developer and he confirmed me that a sub forum is the same as a child forum.

a sub forum is the same as a child forum, JMO then name them the same.Lightbulb

ID, what I discovered which is pretty elementary IDs are sequential when created. When you delete a forum the forum ID remains in MySQL. I assumed it is marked as "removed". I use many plugins, they are executed according to IDs. Before I crashed it was quite the effort to keep them straight. Here is how I am structuring it now.
[Image: mybbids.gif]
I think it will help.

Thanks,

I guess it boils down to the Child forum tab eliminates the need to select a parent forum. But I yield to bigger brainsExclamationBig Grin
Haha yeah, I'm not sure why it's named a differently. I'll see if it's possible to change it to have the same name.

As for the IDs, I wasn't aware of this. Interesting find.