MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hostname
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I'm about to go to a cheapy-cheap VPS ($45.12/y). Right off the bat, they pose the hardest question one could answer:

What shall this host be named?

www is dull and unimaginative. However, I need to come up with a naming scheme that will work well with potentially dozens of computers. Having them somewhat descriptive of what they do would be cool (i.e. Ares would fit a match server in a Greek naming convention, and Athena could be a database server or something, but Greek deities are overdone). Maybe even region-specific things (i.e. Native American figures for NA, European deities for EU, and Japanese/Chinese deities for Asian servers)?

I use Egyptian deities for my home network, so I can't use those without potential confusion.

Damn, names are hard. Why do I suck at naming things? Time to spend the rest of the day on Wikipedia, I guess...
Fang....

www.railpage.com.au/f-p1026281.htm

Then you can have a fang family:

-Fang
-Fangette
Etc...
If I don't care about name meanings, that opens up the choices a bit (though it won't be quite as cool). Maybe I'll name my servers after the Homestuck trolls? Or some other webcomic with a crapton of characters...

Relevant XKCD
Gods are a popular choice.
ns1
ns2

The classics imho.
If you're a true geek, use names of planets from Star Wars Toungue My VPS has the hostname "hoth" for example...
I need to rename mine. It's lamely named www1.

(oh and it is online you guys if you really want to see all the stuff I broke!)
I usually just go for gods Toungue My old VPS was Zues, my windows server was Orion Toungue
Go with movie charecters,just for a change.
Example "Aragorn","Frodo","Gandalf" from the LOTR,or what ever movie you are a fan of.
Unsure why you need cute server names. How many servers will you have?
Pages: 1 2