MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB on InnoDB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I'm currently managing about 1500 MyBB installs. They are all using the MyISAM storage engine. Because this creates 2-3 files per table, as you can imagine, I have thousands and thousands of files. I have been wondering for some time if it would be more efficient to use the InnoDB storage engine for this. I would have 2 files, the data and index file. All the tables would be contained in that single file.

I am very knowledgeable of databases and how they work, as I work as an Oracle Database Administrator. My question is though, are there any disadvantages to using InnoDB instead of the default MyISAM?

The ones I know of are
1) No full text searches
2) A little more difficult to back up
3) A little more difficult to fix corruption

Thoughts? Thanks!
I don't think it will be to much of an issue as I know HF(the largest mybb forum) uses it.
So long as you manage the change properly (taking into account the issues you noted) you should have no problems though. As Alex said, several sites already use InnoDB at least for high traffic tables such as mybb_sessions.
Thanks. In your opinion, would it make sense though? A cleaner filesystem is one of the biggest benefits I can see.
I was just reminded of the reason I decided not to do this last time... MySQL doesn't support tablespaces. It's either 1 datafile for the entire server or 1 datafile per table, not 1 datafile per schema.