MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: open source alternative to cpanel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'll be turning a PC into a web server next week and was wondering what you guys use as a control panel in the open source world.
There isn't a good one. Learn to use the command line it's not bad once you get the hang of it. Plus it uses less resources Big Grin.
(2012-09-09, 07:36 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't a good one. Learn to use the command line it's not bad once you get the hang of it. Plus it uses less resources Big Grin.

This +1000. A control panel is a massive waste of resources when you can do everything via SSH so easily.
So are there any good links on how to use the command line?
Umm, basically any linux OSs wiki will be a great start.

I mean beyond the different package managers you'll mostly just be using a text editor like nano.

For full tutorials on setting up a server I would recommend howtoforge.
+1 on http://www.howtoforge.com/ . If HowtoForge doesn't help, you can always ask here Toungue or look at the official documentation of the Distro in use. If it is going to use Microsoft Server, you can use MSDN.
(2012-09-09, 07:36 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't a good one. Learn to use the command line it's not bad once you get the hang of it. Plus it uses less resources Big Grin.
+1, Using control panel is a waste of resource for sure..

(2012-09-09, 07:34 AM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be turning a PC into a web server next week and was wondering what you guys use as a control panel in the open source world.

If you really wan't an alternative, I would recommend Webmin, Not good as cPanel though, but does the job.
I use webmin + virtualmin
(2012-09-09, 07:34 AM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be turning a PC into a web server next week and was wondering what you guys use as a control panel in the open source world.
Try something I just recently found which is way better then any free panel I have seen. http://i-mscp.net/ It's a new project but it's really good software, comes with everything you need. Big Grin
It also hasn't been updated in 6 months...
Pages: 1 2