MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Post-apocalyptic survival open world game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that's a nice name for a game genre, right? Toungue

I was just curious to know if anybody here would like to see a game of this type. Not sure if anyone's played DayZ for Arma II - that's kinda like "post-apocalyptic survival open world" but the system itself has some serious flaws (because of humans/players themselves).

2012 and 2013 are what I call "game changing years". Companies know a lot of people would like to play a game like this. It's not Fallout 3, or Left 4 Dead. Those have a goal. In this type of game I'm talking about, the goal is simple: survive. And that has never been made before, or at least not at this scale (no, Minecraft is not exactly what I'm talking about).

DayZ kinda achieved that but there are a few things wrong and a few things that are missing and standalone version may fix those issues. The War Z (another in-development game) looks promising and so does Class3. It doesn't necessarily need to be multiplayer - although that made DayZ successful, it also broke its system - but multiplayer is alwawys a plus.

Now, back to my question. Am I the only one on these forums looking forward to these three games? (DayZ standalone, Class3 and The War Z)
I've been meaning to play DayZ as it looks pretty interesting. I assume you've played it? What exactly are the issues as you see them?
You're not alone. I love the idea of surviving in the wild, especially in a post-apocalyptic situation. On that note The Walking Dead is a great TV show! You'd probably like it. I'm anxious for season three (coming October 15th).

As for the games, I've been seeing some DayZ videos on YouTube lately and it does seem like a cool concept. I don't like 3rd person view though (I wonder if that was a setting that the player enabled?). But then again I haven't played it. Minecraft has a pretty decent survival. Of course eventually you no longer need to survive because you have automatic wheat farms, huge buildings and tons of animals to kill. There are however some servers/mods inspired by other games and stuff, namely MineZ (DayZ implementation) and Hungercraft (The Hunger Games).

Anyway, I would really like to see a solid game like this. Multiplayer is a must for me. Cooperating is a lot more fun, and easier in the long run. That's why the human race has survived thus far. What would you say is the current de facto post-apocalyptic game?
Issues:
1. They switched from MyBB to IPB Toungue
(on a more technical note)
2. You can start shooting someone; that person logs out, joins another server, walks 10m away like 2m behind your position and logs in to the previous server; kills the killer (not sure if you got it)
3. People put barbed wire around spawn zones to kill people and get what they spawn with.
4. There are groups of users which travel at night with nightvision just to destroy other encampments - just for fun, they blow up everyone and don't care if they've got cars, food, ammo. They just blow up with everything.

There's four. I could point out more but that would be exhausting - it has got some weird bugs..

Edit: just saw your post fábio, I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead myself. And yes, you can use 1st Person shooter, 3rd person is only enabled on some servers.
Have you (or anyone else) tried I Am Alive? Always been tempted to give it a go but haven't got round to it yet. Although it looks a little outdated it might be interesting.
That game was in development for so long and doesn't seem worth the development time. Looks alright and I'll play it for sure but I'm sure I won't love it - I did love Fallout 3 for example, too bad it ended (just like any other open world game whose goal is not survival - which is the only main goal that never ends).
It's a popular theme right now in movie/tv show industries as well.

http://www.xsyon.com/content.php

That's a sand box mmo where it's supposed be after the Apocalypse.

Personally I don't like the games my self Toungue. The movies and tv shows are good though.
(2012-09-09, 10:43 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It's a popular theme right now in movie/tv show industries as well.

http://www.xsyon.com/content.php

That's a sand box mmo where it's supposed be after the Apocalypse.

Personally I don't like the games my self Toungue. The movies and tv shows are good though.

I will look into that tomorrow. And what if there's a game that lets play what those TV characters do? However, at your own way, your own way of reacting to things, etc. I'm sure this will be a very successful game.
(2012-09-09, 10:06 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]Issues:
1. They switched from MyBB to IPB Toungue
(on a more technical note)
2. You can start shooting someone; that person logs out, joins another server, walks 10m away like 2m behind your position and logs in to the previous server; kills the killer (not sure if you got it)
3. People put barbed wire around spawn zones to kill people and get what they spawn with.
4. There are groups of users which travel at night with nightvision just to destroy other encampments - just for fun, they blow up everyone and don't care if they've got cars, food, ammo. They just blow up with everything.

I was reading about DayZ, and though issue 1 shows a lapse in judgement and issue 2 is truly a bug, I think issues 3 and 4 are actually horrible but realistic.

If there was a "spawn point" situation where someone else takes the risk to get an item and then others ambush and kill them to get the stuff....sounds plausible to me.

Same on the groups of rogues who go around in gangs terrorizing other survivors. VERY plausible.

Anyway, after reading about it, though it seems a smart idea I think I will stick with the Sims.
2 isn't a bug. It's by design. You are meant to be synchronised across multiple servers. The game should simply have a logout timer (5 seconds) where you can still shoot, but after 5 seconds you logout.
Pages: 1 2