MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To run distinctly different sections of one MyBB site as different MyBB forums. ... that made no sense. Let's me try to explain better.

Say you want to create a sort of network of forums that do generally the same thing, but it isn't worth it to create an individual forum installation for each one due to various factors. At the same time, you can't create one forum for all of them, because if you did things would start to eventually get cluttered on the index page. So, what I'm asking is this: is there a way to separate sections of one forum installation into seemingly different forums?

Thanks.
(2012-09-09, 11:05 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]To run distinctly different sections of one MyBB site as different MyBB forums. ... that made no sense. Let's me try to explain better.

Say you want to create a sort of network of forums that do generally the same thing, but it isn't worth it to create an individual forum installation for each one due to various factors. At the same time, you can't create one forum for all of them, because if you did things would start to eventually get cluttered on the index page. So, what I'm asking is this: is there a way to separate sections of one forum installation into seemingly different forums?

Thanks.

I'm not gonna say it isn't possible, but I highly doubt that it would be worth it.

Why not just set up the first forum, get it exactly like you want and then use it as a template to make the other two forums? Once the first forum was up and running you could simply back it up (Files and DB) then FTP the files to the new host, import the Database into the new site (in phpMyAdmin). Then modify settings.php to reflect the accurate board name and URL, etc . . .

It really isn't very complicated.
(2012-09-09, 11:10 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-09, 11:05 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]To run distinctly different sections of one MyBB site as different MyBB forums. ... that made no sense. Let's me try to explain better.

Thanks.

I'm not gonna say it isn't possible, but I highly doubt that it would be worth it.

Why not just set up the first forum, get it exactly like you want and then use it as a template to make the other two forums? Once the first forum was up and running you could simply back it up (Files and DB) then FTP the files to the new host, import the Database into the new site (in phpMyAdmin). Then modify settings.php to reflect the accurate board name and URL, etc . . .

It really isn't very complicated.

So, basically install MyBB multiple times? In the first post, I said that it really wasn't worth it to install it for each section (I'm sorry, to me that sounded really harsh and I didn't want it to sound that way). Any other ideas?
Would these three forums need to have three different names and URLs? If the answer is yes then I don't think it is possible to do what you are asking.

Is it really that hard to install a forum? <-- I am not being rude. Smile
(2012-09-10, 03:09 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Would these three forums need to have three different names and URLs? If the answer is yes then I don't think it is possible to do what you are asking.

Is it really that hard to install a forum? <-- I am not being rude. Smile

No, not really. That's generally what I'm trying to do here. Turn one MyBB installation into "multiple" (separated onto different index pages) MyBB installations. And no, haha. I can install MyBB in like two seconds, but it would just work better this way. People wouldn't have to create accounts at each individual forum and stuff like that.
(2012-09-10, 03:20 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ][...] Turn one MyBB installation into "multiple" (separated onto different index pages) MyBB installations.[...]

What about using a tabs plugin and then having each tab contain the different forums?
I suppose it would work, but I've always been of the opinion that the tabs thing looked a little ghetto. :/ Mmm, maybe I'll just have to suck it up and go with that.

Okay. New plan. Its in the same vein as what I'm trying to do here, but much more plausible. Is there a way to edit how the forum handles "hidden" forums? Essentially, instead of them "not existing," they would indeed exist, but they would not exist on the main index? To get to them you would have to have a direct link to the category. Any ideas?
Okay this is a long shot, but how about this? <snip>

This thread explains how to run multiple forums (in separate domains) from the same DB. This would accomplish everything you are asking with the exception that you would have to install the forum three times. Once a user registered at one forum then they would be registered at all of them.

I hope this helps.
I'm actually investigating a solution that I thought of a few minutes ago. Thanks though. Smile
You're welcome. You might let us know how you did it so all could learn from it . . . Wink
Pages: 1 2