MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Expand Help Docs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The potential for the Help Docs feature of MyBB is huge. They should be more widely used but are not because MyBB makes no effort to improve them. I see a lot of threads about creating custom pages but essentially that's what the help docs are.

Shouldn't be hard either for Google SEO plugin to use titles for the help doc URLs either. Unsure if he did that already.

But the help docs accept HTML already. Meaning you can quickly create just about any static page you need. Most of those who need custom pages just need static HTML like donation pages and such.

If the help docs allowed for the $mybb variable that would be awesome. One could insert forms with filled in fields like {$mybb->user['uid']} as part of forms.

And some form of permission system like canviewguests would be nice.

And when was the last time the default MyBB help docs were even edited or reviewed? You guys haven't added the Media codes or the newer quote with username to the MyCode help doc.

Anyways..please review the topic and maybe other members can have some input here.
I updated the language of some of them recently; we are looking at overhauling them though and adding new topics.
You're also able to remove the default docs in MyBB 1.8.
@Tomm: can we get some way of using $lang variables in them too - unless that feature already exists? I'm using them in MyAlerts but the technique I'm using's kind of unintuitive...
There are already language files for translating custom help docs: customhelpdocs.lang.php and customhelpsections.lang.php Wink
It is sort-of support, but you need to use the usetranslation column in the database. We need to figure out whether we should remove this option (as it is unused in 1.x) and always check to see if a translation already exists.

As for using $lang->variable, that's probably a no.