MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The ability to add several categories/forums at once
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would love to see this feature. This is my one hold up. I am looking for a forum software that will allow me to enter, whether in excel or however that needs to be done, more than one forum at a time.

I have sections that are going to be regional on my site, and for me to have to go in and enter each and every 50 nifty United State and fix the settings will be a royal pain in the keester.

I made a post a couple of months back about this, wondering if anyone knew of anything already available to do this, or if anyone had figured out how to rig it, period... I only received one response... No.

So... if there is something new, from the last time I was in, I would love to know about it... if there isn't, I would LOVE to suggest something, a plug-in, whatever the case to be able to slap a bunch of forums up on my board in a VERY short period of time.
Aside from this... MyBB is awesome.. that is why I question again, because I really like the board for so many other features.

Thanks so much!
As far as your question whether the situation has changed, unfortunately not. It would be fairly easy to build a simple stand-alone PHP script to import forum names and descriptions from a formatted file though (eg: XML or JSON file - CSV possibly, though I've never really played with them).
Quote:I am looking for a forum software that will allow me to enter, whether in excel or however that needs to be done, more than one forum at a time.

What's the difference if you type it out in excel them import at MyBB admincp or just type it in at MyBB admincp? You still need to type out the data. You're only adding a step actually.

If you want just go into phpmyadmin forums table and start to type them out....that's as close as you'll get. When you're done be sure to refresh the forums cache in admincp and it will work just fine.
(2012-09-13, 09:37 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I am looking for a forum software that will allow me to enter, whether in excel or however that needs to be done, more than one forum at a time.

What's the difference if you type it out in excel them import at MyBB admincp or just type it in at MyBB admincp? You still need to type out the data. You're only adding a step actually.

If you want just go into phpmyadmin forums table and start to type them out....that's as close as you'll get. When you're done be sure to refresh the forums cache in admincp and it will work just fine.

the difference is the lack of having 10,000 clicks and page refreshes. adding forums is a PITA when in bulk. especially since in excel, you can populate a row once and then with a drag or CTRL-Down to copy the contents to all rows for common items in each forum. beats having to select from a drop-down form element all the time.
In bulk from an Excel offers more of a chance for a crucial mistake. MyBB would also need to create a template for excel.

A well versed admin should be able to use phpmyadmin to do similar work with more efficiency than excel even. You can easy update or insert multiple rows with the same content with one sql query.

I think doing it from excel would complicate the process not make it easier.

What new forum has that many forums categories anyways? IMHO a new 0 post forum shouldn't have more than 20-30 forum categories.
for me, I'd build one forum in the ACP, then in phpMyAdmin export the forums table to CSV, open in Excel, make my edits, save and then import back into phpMyAdmin.

we do similar at my regular job with MSSQLSERVER and we have found that it is extremely fast and allows simple edits if there is a mistake. just truncate and reimport the updated file.
(2012-09-13, 10:15 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]for me, I'd build one forum in the ACP, then in phpMyAdmin export the forums table to CSV, open in Excel, make my edits, save and then import back into phpMyAdmin.

we do similar at my regular job with MSSQLSERVER and we have found that it is extremely fast and allows simple edits if there is a mistake. just truncate and reimport the updated file.

I would do same if I was adding 100's of forums.

I wouldn't use Excel though. I use OpenOffice. Smile
I agree with OP. I also would like to see one click edits for description / forum info.
(2012-09-13, 11:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-13, 10:15 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]for me, I'd build one forum in the ACP, then in phpMyAdmin export the forums table to CSV, open in Excel, make my edits, save and then import back into phpMyAdmin.

I would do same if I was adding 100's of forums.

I wouldn't use Excel though. I use OpenOffice. Smile

OpenOffice on my netbook
Excel on my laptop
LibraOffice on my desktop

Toungue