MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tons of advertising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My forum has alot of traffic, and with that a CRAP TON of advertising. Literally 40+ spam bots a day with 80+ threads.

My staff is handling it but there is still a ton of work to be done. So far I have fassim anti spam plugin, and registration questions. What else can I do?
You can try out Spamalyser, it is meant to prevent spam posts and this one for spam registrations.
(2012-09-14, 12:24 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]You can try out Spamalyser, it is meant to prevent spam posts and this one for spam registrations.

Thanks very much. I am going to try both of these now.
What sort of questions do you have for Registration Questions? To be honest, that's all you really need to combat spam bots (if the questions are unique). If they're human spammers, that's another issue.
(2012-09-14, 01:43 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]What sort of questions do you have for Registration Questions? To be honest, that's all you really need to combat spam bots (if the questions are unique). If they're human spammers, that's another issue.

I wrote random stuff, and changed it a few times. Still faced it.

Did stuff like random math questions, and other weird things like opposites.

Seems they are still getting around it not too sure how though.
(2012-09-14, 05:55 AM)trmybb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-14, 01:43 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]What sort of questions do you have for Registration Questions? To be honest, that's all you really need to combat spam bots (if the questions are unique). If they're human spammers, that's another issue.

I wrote random stuff, and changed it a few times. Still faced it.

Did stuff like random math questions, and other weird things like opposites.

Seems they are still getting around it not too sure how though.

enable captcha while registeration. Spammers will be stopped.
Captcha is probably the worst line of defense for spam bots.
Spamalyser seems to be doing the trick so far. Thanks alot!
Still bots will register with it if I'm not mistaken, if you want to get complete rid of them, use Stop Forum Spam plugin. With turned off Username checking it's surely the best.
(2012-09-18, 11:47 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Still bots will register with it if I'm not mistaken, if you want to get complete rid of them, use Stop Forum Spam plugin. With turned off Username checking it's surely the best.

I have been using this plugin and it worked for me. Smile