MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Parent/Child Themes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What exactly is the purpose of parent/child themes? Do they do something special or inherit special things?
(2012-09-15, 04:32 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is the purpose of parent/child themes? Do they do something special or inherit special things?

They inherit everything.
You see, when I first read your title, I assumed you meant themes styled around actual parents and children (ie. mother and son). Which doesn't really make any sense.

Child themes inherit, I believe, everything that hasn't been modified from the parent theme. When the child theme is created, it retains all of the styling and templates from the parent, until one of them becomes modified (ie. if you're only changing one template and some colors in the stylesheet, all other templates and stylesheets will remain inherited).
(2012-09-20, 10:56 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-15, 04:32 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is the purpose of parent/child themes? Do they do something special or inherit special things?

They inherit everything.

Thank ya, my good sir.

(2012-09-24, 12:33 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]You see, when I first read your title, I assumed you meant themes styled around actual parents and children (ie. mother and son). Which doesn't really make any sense.

*facepalm* Oh you. *points finger*

Quote:Child themes inherit, I believe, everything that hasn't been modified from the parent theme. When the child theme is created, it retains all of the styling and templates from the parent, until one of them becomes modified (ie. if you're only changing one template and some colors in the stylesheet, all other templates and stylesheets will remain inherited).

Ah, I see. Thanks.