MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hi there!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there everyone!

I'm a green as grass newbie but I've owned communities on Proboards and Yuku.

I'm looking for advice about MyBB as it got exceptional ratings on forum-software.org.
What I'm accustomed to is point and click forum software and I have zero experience with code -Proboards and Yuku.

I guess I'm wondering, given my lack of experience and knowledge, if this software is suited to clueless beginners like myself?

Confused It wasn't too long ago I was the person who spent 3 hours looking through their computer files looking for the ever elusive clipboard.
*I really wish I was kidding*

I know what I require in regards to security, privacy, forum layout, blogs, galleries and chat room and general permissions etc. and it'd be nice to know if this is something I could do myself using MyBB or at least walked through .....slowly. Very slowly. Big Grin

Thanks,
~Calisto.
mybb is also perfect for noobs.
(2012-09-15, 08:55 AM)MyBB King Wrote: [ -> ]mybb is also perfect for noobs.

Gosh I hope so King because I'm feeling rather intimidated ATM.
Quote:I know what I require in regards to security, privacy, forum layout, blogs, galleries and chat room and general permissions etc. and it'd be nice to know if this is something I could do myself using MyBB or at least walked through .....slowly. Very slowly.

Siteground has a nice list of tutorials to look through:
(2012-09-16, 03:49 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I know what I require in regards to security, privacy, forum layout, blogs, galleries and chat room and general permissions etc. and it'd be nice to know if this is something I could do myself using MyBB or at least walked through .....slowly. Very slowly.

Siteground has a nice list of tutorials to look through:
And you can check out http://docs.mybb.com/ for help too
You need some PHP / HTML / JavaScript knowledge for creating custom MyCodes, custom plugins, and custom themes.

MyCode is similar to BB Code used in other forums. The built-in MyCodes provide a lot of the common codes (font size / color, images, links, etc). There is a forum on this site where others have posted their custom MyCodes if you feel adventurous.

Plugins are like extensions in other forums. They provide additional functionality. Since you are a n00b, I suggest you either pay for custom plugins or use the ones available from the "Mod" section of this site.

Themes / skins affect how the site looks. There are pre-built themes available from the "Mod" section of this site, but you would do well to hire someone to customize your site. At a bare minimum you should provide your own logo instead of using the MyBB one.