MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme Rating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think it is true that we as MyBB admins see the same themes around a lot and call them over used - when maybe a forum user has never seen MyBB and so is impressed when they see that theme. Assuming its a good theme.

I installed a VERY generic theme on my board - but then I have poured a LOT of time into customizing it and tweaking it, so though to me it is still recognizable as the parts it is made out of, I think it is now fairly unique. That is my advice to any new forum owner - get a good free base theme, decide on a colour palette and edit the heck out of the css. A sharpened up post bit, some nice buttons and a unique logo will get you a very long way towards unique.

I think just grabbing an Apart theme and bunging it on a board with a poorly chosen logo shows a lack of effort, that is my beef when I see that sort of thing in Showcase. Not even tried to make it look like it is their own. Leaving the theme at default is worse, but the worst (imo) is a theme that is half done and the default buttons left on it. I hate that - it makes MyBB look ugly and amateur and THAT I can't forgive.
(2012-09-15, 10:44 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]On webmaster sites, people are used to seeing MyBB forum after MyBB forum so overdone themes can get boring. On sites unrelated to technology though, most members probably haven't even used MyBB before so they won't notice or care.

Exactly it depends on the topic. Sadly most are tech subjects which means they probably have seen the theme before Toungue.
Haven't read the entire thread.

But my opinion on this one is, if you are really serious about your forum you definitely need a unique design.

Whatever content is being displayed when your site loads in, that should speak what your forum is all about.
Good LOGO + Content.

If your page is filled with ads and has a bad color scheme no one is going to even scroll down and check what forums do you have.

So I am completely against overusing a theme. Take all the top forums, website, blogs etc., the similarity of all of them is a UNIQUE DESIGN.

(2012-09-16, 12:09 AM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn't run a serious website (note the serious) if you're not willing to invest some money into it.
Hmm well I don't completely agree on this. Sometimes the admin is well educated to do everything by himself.
(2012-09-16, 12:18 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is true that we as MyBB admins see the same themes around a lot and call them over used - when maybe a forum user has never seen MyBB and so is impressed when they see that theme. Assuming its a good theme.

I installed a VERY generic theme on my board - but then I have poured a LOT of time into customizing it and tweaking it, so though to me it is still recognizable as the parts it is made out of, I think it is now fairly unique. That is my advice to any new forum owner - get a good free base theme, decide on a colour palette and edit the heck out of the css. A sharpened up post bit, some nice buttons and a unique logo will get you a very long way towards unique.

I think just grabbing an Apart theme and bunging it on a board with a poorly chosen logo shows a lack of effort, that is my beef when I see that sort of thing in Showcase. Not even tried to make it look like it is their own. Leaving the theme at default is worse, but the worst (imo) is a theme that is half done and the default buttons left on it. I hate that - it makes MyBB look ugly and amateur and THAT I can't forgive.

Repped. This sums it up really.
(2012-09-16, 11:13 AM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm well I don't completely agree on this. Sometimes the admin is well educated to do everything by himself.

Obviously. In that case he should be able to create a good design by himself, which is perfectly fine too, provided that he knows what he's doing. You still need money for a domain and proper web hosting though. Smile
(2012-09-16, 02:28 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]You still need money for a domain and proper web hosting though. Smile
10$ for domain + 4.99$/month for hosting + a great admin = New sensational forum.

Then all you have to do is move all the hosting line: Shared -> Business -> VPS -> Dedicated

My formula of a successful forum Toungue
(2012-09-16, 02:59 PM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-16, 02:28 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]You still need money for a domain and proper web hosting though. Smile
10$ for domain + 4.99$/month for hosting + a great admin = New sensational forum.

Then all you have to do is move all the hosting line: Shared -> Business -> VPS -> Dedicated

Pretty poor formula to be honest. Those are just the basics to actually having a forum installed.
(2012-09-16, 03:19 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-16, 02:59 PM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]

Pretty poor formula to be honest. Those are just the basics to actually having a forum installed.
Ok I was talking in a light mode. Pretty much a joke. Don't take it serious mate. Angel

Of course what I highlighted is how to get a forum started properly. I often see forums being hosted on a VPS or dedicated server in the beginning when the admin can hardly afford them.
Oh...

Anyway I always see the opposite, free hosting and free domains all over the place.
(2012-09-16, 03:44 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Oh...

Anyway I always see the opposite, free hosting and free domains all over the place.

Free hosting is yuck. They can literally terminate your account for any reason, even a nonsensical one.

Free FORUM hosting is even more yuck, though.
Pages: 1 2 3