MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Way to more easily change registration agreement?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to scrap the existing registration agreement and create a new one.

I know how to edit the current registration agreement within the ACP (I assume that means Admin Control Panel - I've seen that acronym around a lot) but it's a pain in that I must change the text and confine it to 5 paragraphs.

I also know how to edit the template for the registration form.

All well and good IF I want to stick to five paragraphs.

But that's too limiting and I want the freedom to free form edit the agreement and put it in place with however many paragraphs I end up with - without having to cut and paste it all to pieces into five paragraphs.

Seems like the best way is to edit the members_agreement or whatever it's called PHP file, remove the various variables that correspond to the paragraphs, leave only one in place and then edit the template to show only that one variable.

Then create my agreement and stuff it into the one variable left in the PHP file and let the template show that one variable.

Problem solved in that the string I put into that one variable will have as many paragraphs as I want.

Is this the best way to go about this?

Basically I just want to create an agreement with multiple paragraphs (not just five) and to insert that new agreement easily somewhere without having to cut it up into five paragraphs.

Any input or advice would be appreciated. I've Googled and googled for who knows how long and read a ton of posts here and have not found ANY info anywhere about how to write a longer agreement and insert it easily somewhere.

Thanks.

Carlos
You can just open the member_register_agreement template and put your own HTML in. It just won't translate using mybb language strings.
Hmm...what are mybb language strings? How does that work?

Hmm...I think you may be talking about the PHP language variables used.

The other thing I wonder about, and I have Googled all over to try and find out about this with no success so far, is whether or not changes to templates that I make will be overwritten with the next upgrade?

I'll add more on this tomorrow as time is slipping away tonight and I've got to go in a few minutes but thanks for your input!

Carlos
There is an option called languages in the ACP - configuration menu-languages. In there you will find all of the language strings that are referred to in the MyBB templates (usually lang->something in the templates). In the member.lang.php you will find the strings for the agreement. Changes to templates need to be checked on upgrade - but they will not be overwritten. Changes to core files (the member.php for example) does have a higher risk of being overwritten.

However, if you want to use your own text you can. Simply remove the references to the strings in the template member_register_agreement and put your own text direct in the html template.
I see what you mean now LeeFish. I didn't understand what you were referring to at first.

I went ahead and just commented out all the language variables in member.lang.php except for the first one and then changed the template to only spit out the one.

I also added a bunch of HTML paragraph tags within my longer registration text and copied that into the PHP variable left inside member.lang.php.

But I see how what you suggest would have just been easier.

I will go ahead and undo what I did and go back and do it as you suggest LeeFish. Changing the actual HTML inside the member_registration_agreement template.

I wish MyBB would have put the templates into plain text files instead of saving their code in the MySQL database. Would have made for much easier editing and searching of template code.

But I suppose it has it's reasons.

Anyway...thanks again!

Carlos
I am not at all sure what it is that you just said tenhuanjh0. Not sure what themes and plugin support have to do with this.

Or why your images aren't showing up.

Oh well...thanks anyway I guess.

Carlos
(2012-09-18, 01:12 AM)carlos123 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not at all sure what it is that you just said tenhuanjh0. Not sure what themes and plugin support have to do with this.

Or why your images aren't showing up.

Oh well...thanks anyway I guess.

Carlos

Just ignore /report those. They are spammers trying to pretend they are non spammers.