MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Jaded membership
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if it's a seasonal lull but most communities I'm a part of and even the one I own are dead.

How do you revive a flagging forum and encourage your membership to be more active?
Well isn't that the question of questions?

Some will say to revitalize a forum you need new toys or a theme change while others will say it is all about SEO and recruiting . . . I have no idea.

I have only had a forum for a little less than a year and we went through some pretty slow times in the first six months. I just kept at it every day and with posting on other forums and putting up sig links a few people trickled in- not a bunch, but we get like 100 posts per day so it isn't dead . . .

Just keep doing what you are doing and mostly enjoy a slow time by using it to work on the site. When people disappear sometimes they check in from time to time. Seeing some things being done around the site helps people to see that no matter how slow it is, you haven't given up.

Best of luck Smile
I'm the most active poster on my site but it does get a little frustrating.
Some days I'm just spinning my wheels and getting no traction.

I'm looking to transfer my membership over to the new MyBB site once I have it up and running but I'm worried that they (the membership) won't follow me especially with how grim the posting situation is at the moment.

I guess I could lay the blame that the site is stagnating because it's a very private 18+ salon with approved membership and it's content isn't indexed.
While it's great for protecting the privacy of the current membership there just isn't the stimulation of fresh faces, fresh stories and fresh perspectives.

I've done the whole skin change. Installed 123flash chat. Offered platinum memberships as a loyalty reward and customized tiles/titles.

I think I'm going to have to seriously rethink my cherished ideas about privacy with my MyBB site and open up the membership requirements.
Just one word.

Care.
(2012-09-18, 12:35 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Just one word.

Care.

A combination of this and the fact that, depending on target audience, much of your active memberbase'll be busy with schooling around this time of year anyway. Don't let it get to you too much.
(2012-09-18, 12:46 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-18, 12:35 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Just one word.

Care.

A combination of this and the fact that, depending on target audience, much of your active memberbase'll be busy with schooling around this time of year anyway. Don't let it get to you too much.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Trust me I care maybe a bit too much.
I remember birthdays and make threads.
I follow up members who have been sick with PM's of encouragement and support.
I guess that's the reason why this lull stings so much.
I care.
Then a second word.

Patience.
(2012-09-18, 01:09 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Then a second word.

Patience.

Yep I need patience and I need it yesterday! LOL.Big Grin