MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Branding Free Option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just curious if there are any plans to offer a Branding Free option. I'd gladly make a one time "donation" to the myBB cause for the privelege of being able to remove the "Powered by MyBB" from the bottoms of my owned forums.

Not that I mind promoting MyBB...it's just a security thing.
I don't think it would be fair to the developers to get a 1 time dontation to have the copyright removed permanently. Unless you plan to donate $100 or something of that nature (which actually isn't a lot when it comes to copyright removal).

Also to counter your comment how does saying "Powered by myBB" contribute to the security? I would think showing the version would do that more so than the Powered By. You are at more of a risk having your computer state you are using Windows while connected to the internet.

So I understand that you are saying that people should have the option, but realistically if it was a donation less than $75 I would laugh at it and say that it doesn't warrant the ability to remove the copyright.
Something like $100 with no redistribution w/out copyright rights though, is reasonable. MyBB team can consider that if they think it's helpful but I don't think many people even care about it. I like to credit the software team for the software I am using!
Just my 2 cents, I donated over 100.00 to megabb when I had a asp server to remove the copyrights. I see nothing wrong with that personally because the header code is not changed nor should it be. It's all up to the developer however the way I see it.
MyBB is a non-profit organization. If you have security problems, then you can turn off the "version number" from showing up in the ACP, which prevents hackers from knowing which version you have. You can also reword "Powered By MyBB. Copyright 2006" to some a little different. It still has to state that the forum is powered by MyBB and that its copyright 2006 on everypage, but it can be reworded.

Another concept is to use an image with the text instead of using html text, as long as it is clearly readable by the common man.
SnakEyez Wrote:Unless you plan to donate $100 or something of that nature (which actually isn't a lot when it comes to copyright removal).
I was actually thinking $100 or even more with the license being granted to the person not the site itself (non-transferrable). We could remove branding on any MyBB sites that we personally owned but if that site was sold the copyright would have to be restored. I've seen other scripts that are structured similarly.

SnakEyez Wrote:Also to counter your comment how does saying "Powered by myBB" contribute to the security?
When going through my server logs I find numerous cases where the "Powered by MyBB" is being used as a search term (probably by script kiddies).
There is also an tutorial about making text into image.
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=10234
This will get the script kiddies of your back when searching for Powered by MyBB.
Tikitiki Wrote:MyBB is a non-profit organization.
That's why I suggested a "Donation" Big Grin

I work with a non-profit organizations everyday and many of them generate revenues to cover expenses. There are just rules that govern how those revenues can be spent...

Tikitiki Wrote:Another concept is to use an image with the text instead of using html text, as long as it is clearly readable by the common man.
Yeah, I read that on the forum but the problem I've had is trying to do that with some of the skins that I've used without it messing up the design. I've tried taking "Print Screens" and editing them with PSP but I haven't been able to get it to turn out right.

My intentions weren't to cause problems with my suggestion but like I said I've seen something similar done before with other scripts...
Hi,

Standard MyBB branding removal is currently priced at $85.00 USD. This enables you to effectively remove the copyright and powered by statements on your forum (however you may not place your own "Powered by" statement on the forum either).

Whilst this may seem rather expensive (though cheaper than the branding free prices of commercial boards), it is due to MyBB generating a lot of its user base from the "powered by" lines and helps us gain a higher page ranking in search engines. It's also due to the fact that we won't be making anything back off your board anymore.

Now, the main question would be where does this money go?
As I've stated before when people have asked about donations - all money goes directly to help pay for the MyBB server, domain registration and other MyBB related expenses. Any excess is not spent and kept in the MyBB account for when it is necessary (server upgrades, maintenance, etc). I am willing to make public all financial records for current expenses which are outlined below:

- Server: $89 USD per month from LayeredTech
- Domain registration: $49.08 AUD per year (mybboard.com, .net and .org) from Quost Domains

These are all expenses which come directly from my pocket and I do not make back.

If you or anyone else wishes to make such a purchase, please contact me via a private message and we'll get it sorted out (the new MyBB site will have the pricing listed too)

Thanks,
Chris
Are you thinking about transfering the domains to a place like GoDaddy or NameCheap? It'll save you about 13 AUD per year.

I also want to ask that is the $85 going to be effective for all the realeases as long as MyBB is around?
Pages: 1 2 3 4