MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySteamLogin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been working on a plugin that allows users to log in with Steam and I've finally made enough progress to show it on the forums! I'm not sure what else I should add, but currently the plugin:
- Allows users to set their Steam Community ID in the UserCP
- Members can login with the Steam Community ID tied to their forum account
- Makes sure Steam ID only in use once
- Displays Steam Community ID with a link to user's Steam Community profile on their forum profile

What I will be adding for sure:
- Field on registration that will allow members to add their ID's when they register on the forum.

Screenshots: 1 2 3

I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on what people want to see in the plugin, so let me know in this thread!

I'm also interested in a few people testing the security/functionality of the plugin before I release it in it's entirety so please PM me if you think you're capable of that (Note: not just anyone with a forum, preferrably people who know how to code plugins or are at least familiar with basic web security and could test the plugin out).

Thanks,

~fizz
Really? No suggestions and only 1 PM showing interest? There were like 4 requests at least in the last two weeks for some sort of Steam integration.
Any updates on this? Would love to see this finished.

A couple suggestions:

1. Once a member logins using their Steam account, have a option in settings where you can lock that Steam ID to their forum account only. In other words, they can't change it through their usercp, only administrators can change it through the admincp.

2. A little bit related to suggestion #1 but have a setting where they can't set their Steam ID, only log-in using their Steam ID to make sure it's their account they are using and not someone else's Steam account.

3. Maybe add a status image in the post bit like the other Steam plug-in that's here on Mybb.com
(2012-09-25, 04:13 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Really? No suggestions and only 1 PM showing interest? There were like 4 requests at least in the last two weeks for some sort of Steam integration.

Now you know how this works Toungue. Sad
(2012-11-02, 12:05 PM)Stephon Wrote: [ -> ]Any updates on this? Would love to see this finished.

A couple suggestions:

1. Once a member logins using their Steam account, have a option in settings where you can lock that Steam ID to their forum account only. In other words, they can't change it through their usercp, only administrators can change it through the admincp.

2. A little bit related to suggestion #1 but have a setting where they can't set their Steam ID, only log-in using their Steam ID to make sure it's their account they are using and not someone else's Steam account.

3. Maybe add a status image in the post bit like the other Steam plug-in that's here on Mybb.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now progress is halted indefinitely while I work on some other projects, but I'll probably continue to work on it in the future. If not I might just release the current code (which is functional and allows someone to login successfully with a Steam Community ID associated with their MyBB account) and let someone else work with it.

1. Not sure how much I like that idea, just because if someone wants to change their Steam account there's gotta be a big hassle to get an admin involved. Also the amount of code necessary for just this little feature is a bit excessive imo.

2. I like this idea and will use it, but not exclusively. You're basically limiting your users to only being able to register new accounts with their Steam account, so any current users will have to basically make a new account. This is a problem for any forum that's currently active. Basically I think I'm going to rewrite it at this point so that you can login with a Steam account and have it register a forum name for you, or you can add the Steam account to your profile and login with either MyBB or Steam to that account.

3. Also planning on doing this.
It'd be great if you could release the correct code as is so if anyone else wants to tweak it, they can. I myself would like to take a look at it. Smile
Progress update please?
I would also like to see this as well. I understand people decided to linger off when they're interested in something after they tell you, until you create it, but that's simply because you have to start releasing things by surprise now without telling anyone.

I would like to allow a person to be able to login with Steam through it's API. My website is a community for a few steam games and this would be a great help to the new userbase.
if you need suggestion..... update screen links xD
Still waiting for this, I fear you walked off the face of the earth like most.