MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: cPanel, DirectAdmin, or Plesk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As three of the most biggest control panels, each with their own following, I'm wondering what you guys, and girls :p, prefer using.

I prefer DA to cPanel. I've been a DA fan since the time Alex (Netsage) showed it to me around the same time as CreateBB. cPanel, to me, seems too bloated. Unfortunately I've never been able to use Plesk aside from the demo.
No love for Webmin? Come on!

I like cPanel, though that may be because I've used it for years.
You can choose CPanel for complete feature (if you rent your server for hosting services), but I prefer DA for simplified usage and low memory consuming (you're the only user)..
Myself I don't like any of them Wink

I use ISPConfig 3 on a CentOS 6.3 Server Big Grin
If you must have one I would say DirectAdmin out of those three (actually out of any CP IMO).

But, in all honesty if the server is basically going to be only for you (or you are going to be managing everything like FTP accounts, domains, and what not just don't get a control panel.

The command line isn't to be feared it's be embraced (there is a reason it's still so commonly used even in these times (and no it's not just resources)).
(2012-09-20, 04:56 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]If you must have one I would say DirectAdmin out of those three (actually out of any CP IMO).

But, in all honesty if the server is basically going to be only for you (or you are going to be managing everything like FTP accounts, domains, and what not just don't get a control panel.

The command line isn't to be feared it's be embraced (there is a reason it's still so commonly used even in these times (and no it's not just resources)).

Here here!
(2012-09-20, 04:56 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]If you must have one I would say DirectAdmin out of those three (actually out of any CP IMO).

+1
My favorite control panel is SSH+VI. You can do more or less anything you can with systems like cPanel, and so very much more. It has a bit of a steep learning curve, but once you've gotten the basics down you can do a lot with it. For example, I've set up a chrooted login for both fawkessoft.com and rtfw.org on my server, so that each can only look at their respective home folders, and on top of all that I've restricted them to only sftp, so no shell access. I don't know if cPanel does that by default, or if it's possible to set it up to do that, but I know it is possible to loosen restrictions as I need to without hoping some crappy GUI has implemented the ability to do what I want to do.
I use webmin but don't think it's good for beginners.
(2012-09-21, 05:00 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I use webmin but don't think it's good for beginners.

Oh, definitely not. I had Webmin on my old server, and it was confusing at first. Powerful as Hell, though, and really easy to use once you can wrap your head around it.