MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Postspawn - For Gamers, By Gamers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
www.PostSpawn.com

Hello everyone!

I would like to show you a forum for gamers!
We as a community dedicate ourselfes to bask in and discuss with other gamers
around the world, we talk games, hang out, find teams to play with, host clans, host
competitions and more as a forum!

Be part of us, and showcase your clans! We also have
an upcoming contest, anyone can join so stay tuned!

Bring out your inner gamer.
I get it all but hacking and profiting. I mean you say the eSports Community but no eSport allows hacking. And, most gamers lose money instead of profiting (in less they are breaking the TOS on basically every game out there).
You have ruined what seems to be a decent theme with a horrible logo, a horrible site background, horrible pink announcements and a horribly placed banner ad. Oh and fix your ficon sizes.

As for the forum itself. Horrible niche which is very hard to succeed in now, and (I promise this is the last time I use horrible) a horrible domain.
(2012-09-21, 01:52 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]You have ruined what seems to be a decent theme with a horrible logo, a horrible site background, horrible pink announcements and a horribly placed banner ad. Oh and fix your ficon sizes.

As for the forum itself. Horrible niche which is very hard to succeed in now, and (I promise this is the last time I use horrible) a horrible domain.

I dont know if you're trying to bring me up or down.
I wasn't trying to offend you or encourage you. This is about your site, not your emotions.
Well, I saw your site and immediately closed it (sorry). I think it was because your theme and logo and general site style made it seem as if it was going to be full of youngsters playing shooting games, and I am not young and I don't like shooting.

You might think HUH. Who cares - one more old lady makes no difference.

Check these stats out:
  • The average gamer is 30 years old and has been playing for 12 years. Sixty-eight percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older.
  • Forty-seven percent of all players are women, and women over 18 years of age are one of the industry's fastest growing demographics.
  • Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent).
  • Sixty-two percent of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online. Seventy-eight percent of these gamers play with others at least one hour per week.
  • Thirty-three percent of gamers play social games.
(source=http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp)

My point - is that if you want to have a serious site with a chance of success outside the people you already know then you need to appeal to a wider target audience. The site as you have it now will not appeal to the older gamer - and that is a big chunk of the market you are missing out on.

* Leefish wanders back to her sims and forum full of women over the age of 25....
Some parts look really well done others not so much unfortunately.

The bad
  • Welcome to PostSpawn - eSports Community!
    The way how !! is aligned with the rest doesn't match up. And the color etc all hurt so badly on my eyes. Its really not good and has to be removed immediately.
  • The logo
    Please ask the original theme creator to create a logo to go along with the theme (that fits with the width of the actual container). that would do miracles.
  • The background image
    Never repeat a background image unless its a pattern. You are better off aligning it and making it blend into the background. You could do this by making the background the same grey color as the image. Also i would suggest creating a background images that wraps around the container not one that runs behind it.
  • The domain name
    Get a proper one this one will not fly, and will not attract any posters.
  • The forum icons
    Don't have two i know the tutorial out their shows you how to do this, but please scroll to the bottom of that page to see how yaldaram removes the most left icons for new post in it etc. It currently makes the most right column look way to cramped.
    On that note also please have all the same width of icons. They are now causing alignment problems.

Also as a female gamer i agree with leefish her statement above. It doesn't have to be catered to female demographic. But currently it gives off the whole "COD" vibe.. (believe me thats not something to be happy about).

There is though a lot of good stuff their and with a lot of work you could probably make it look a lot more professional. Since the theme .. well most of it looks really well. To bad we cant click on the footer to see who the original author is.

PS sorry for the english dont have a spellchecker on this browser :/.. well not enabled for english that is Toungue
In his defense, I don't think he needs to appeal to the demographics that play social games or The Sims, and here's why: it is SUPPOSED to be a an eSports community. I'm fairly certain that no one is generating simoeleons at the competitive level.

That being said, just because the niche is eSports NOW doesn't mean it must always be so, nor is it a good niche to be in. In a super-competitive field like gaming, you need something unique and this forum doesn't really have it. Now, if it were dedicated to making money via gaming, and had sections on eSports, modding, creating custom furniture for the Sims and selling it (is that even still allowed?) then maybe he'd be able to carve out some space for his site in the world of gaming forums.
(2012-09-22, 06:30 AM)cappazushi Wrote: [ -> ]In his defense, I don't think he needs to appeal to the demographics that play social games or The Sims, and here's why: it is SUPPOSED to be a an eSports community. I'm fairly certain that no one is generating simoeleons at the competitive level.

I never said he should appeal to the sims player - I said he should try and appeal to older players and women.

As far as selling custom content - hell yes that is still allowed. But lets not take the thread off topic. Big Grin

His site is not appealing to the older gamer in my opinion - and as that is a hefty chunk of any gaming site market then he should consider that when setting up a forum.
Things I noticed:

Pink banner. Total contrast to the rest of the forum.

Register / Sign in Links on index. Almost as if you're trying to force us to register.

"Please welcome our newest member, username". This belongs at the bottom. While I appreciate the fact that you're a community, you should really keep it at the bottom.

All in caps: Your Forum Titles are all in Caps. I feel like I'm being yelled at: "You know what's in here? PROFITING, THAT'S WHAT!"

The Logo: While text logos are all well and good, you should really consider an image logo. It just doesn't look right to me.

Fluro green when I hover on links. 'nuff said.

The search button: It seems to be missing some text. I had to click on it just to confirm it was a search function.

"237 Total Posts 21 Total Members Boston Newest Member 18 Most Online" - Um, what? It should read something like "Our 237 posts were made by 21 members, the newest of whom is Boston. The most online users we have ever had is 18". That's not the best, but it's better.

Banner ads are more effective at the top. If I'm at the bottom, it's because I want to be here, not because the page forced me here. Move the banner up the top and replace it with some smaller icon-esque ads.

Finally, you have a scrolling "to top" but a static "to content" button. Maybe you should make both scrolling, but that's just me.

Otherwise, you have a nice site. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3