MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Version check inprov
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2012-09-23, 01:23 PM)Kickerbat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure if you guys secured you had a secure SVN with correct access etc, it would be fine.

We use Github to host our downloads now but it still wouldn't be happening for both security reasons (you can never be too careful, it's not a secret where the files are hosted) and simply because there might be changes in the release which affect other components. E.g changing how a certain module works which might break plugins or result in data loss. It's never a good idea to automatically update software without reviewing it first, and it's really not that hard to click a button to review the changes and decide if you wish to upgrade.

(2012-09-23, 01:23 PM)Kickerbat Wrote: [ -> ]Also I was thinking about, the merge system, maybe include this with the download so when you go to install it can ask you if you want to merge.

We have no plans to release the products together. The Merge System depends on MyBB installation to already be available. Perhaps a message at the end of the installer notifying the admin that it is possible to convert their forum to MyBB would be more appropriate.
mate,

if you mean its allow you to upgrade your mybb example from 1.6.2 to 1.6.8 as auto installer i will say its awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee mate

if its not like wat i say so its -9999999999
(2012-09-23, 01:40 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]We have no plans to release the products together. The Merge System depends on MyBB installation to already be available. Perhaps a message at the end of the installer notifying the admin that it is possible to convert their forum to MyBB would be more appropriate.

That's what I'm thinking, having the merge system already included in the MyBB download can speed up the webmasters needs. No need to go downloading more PHP scripts etc. Packaged as one. The universal product it should be Smile.

i.e
Install Complete > Do you wish to merge from other Forum software? etc..
(2012-09-23, 05:13 PM)Kickerbat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-23, 01:40 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]We have no plans to release the products together. The Merge System depends on MyBB installation to already be available. Perhaps a message at the end of the installer notifying the admin that it is possible to convert their forum to MyBB would be more appropriate.

That's what I'm thinking, having the merge system already included in the MyBB download can speed up the webmasters needs. No need to go downloading more PHP scripts etc. Packaged as one. The universal product it should be Smile.

i.e

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a simple message with a link to the download. More people download MyBB than download the Merge System, simply because the majority of people who use MyBB are using forum software for the first time. To give you a rough idea, MyBB 1.6.8 has been downloaded around 65,000 times since its release where as the Merge System 1.6.7 has been downloaded around 5,000 times. We're seeing a lot more new installations than merges so including software with MyBB, which might never, ever be used be the administrator is a waste and will only make it more complicated.

It's really not that much of a hassle to download the Merge System and upload it. If you have the time to merge from another forum software then you should certainly have the time to download the merge package yourself.
(2012-09-23, 05:24 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-23, 05:13 PM)Kickerbat Wrote: [ -> ]

i.e

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a simple message with a link to the download. More people download MyBB than download the Merge System, simply because the majority of people who use MyBB are using forum software for the first time. To give you a rough idea, MyBB 1.6.8 has been downloaded around 65,000 times since its release where as the Merge System 1.6.7 has been downloaded around 5,000 times. We're seeing a lot more new installations than merges so including software with MyBB, which might never, ever be used be the administrator is a waste and will only make it more complicated.

It's really not that much of a hassle to download the Merge System and upload it. If you have the time to merge from another forum software then you should certainly have the time to download the merge package yourself.

I would suppose a simple message at the end could do the trick Smile. I was also thinking with the install system have the option for a basic and an advance install. The advance install would include a few advance options such as the cookie path etc?
2.0 should automatically detect the cookie domain and path as far as I'm aware. Smile
1.6 already detects the cookie settings...
(2012-09-23, 06:06 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 already detects the cookie settings...

I believe in 2.0 the idea was to detect them at runtime so users cannot mess them up via setting them wrong. I may be wrong though...
(2012-09-23, 06:10 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-23, 06:06 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 already detects the cookie settings...

I believe in 2.0 the idea was to detect them at runtime so users cannot mess them up via setting them wrong. I may be wrong though...

You should still be able to edit the cookie settings, people who install on there server locally, but stream out on a domain would have issues? I maybe wrong aswell?
Look Cool +1
Pages: 1 2