MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Version check inprov
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Upon install, your first login to the ACP comes up with a message saying that this is a clean install and you should just double check you have the latest version.

(I know it already says your last version check was blah blah.. Just be good to alert users that could have MyBB downloaded for like a week or two, then a major security flaw is released..)
As you said it already does this so I don't see the point. The only thing that may be better to do is have it check before you run the installation.
http://blog.mybb.com/2012/08/21/mybb-1-8...-supertux/

According to the blog post, The "news section" is being moved to the Index of the admin panel. MyBB usually (Always) announces the release of a new version, so if you are still on V1.8.0 and 1.8.1 is released, you will see the announcement from your Admin panel Smile
(2012-09-22, 02:32 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that may be better to do is have it check before you run the installation.

If only there was a simple automatic updater Wink.
But, that's not what you asked for...

Not to mention fully automated updates is even scarier than being behind IMO. One bad day on MyBBs servers and tons of mybb sites would be screwed.
(2012-09-23, 06:33 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention fully automated updates is even scarier than being behind IMO. One bad day on MyBBs servers and tons of mybb sites would be screwed.

Not if they implement something like phpsvnclient. Using an SVN provider such as sourceforge/github. There would be hardly any issues with downtime. Also if you setup the script to work correctly i.e if server down then return a message etc and not update any files.
I wasn't talking about down time. I was talking about bad code (like a back door) being automatically added to your site...
(2012-09-23, 07:40 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't talking about down time. I was talking about bad code (like a back door) being automatically added to your site...

That wouldn't happen if it was coded properly. The back door would have to be in the hosts file, internal server.
Alex is referring to an incident similar to that which happened in June of 2011 where a malicious hacker gained access to mybb.com and replaced the MyBB download package with one with malicious code.

I doubt we'll be adding automatic updates but 2.0 will most likely have a system similar to what Wordpress does where it allows you to update your forum if it's out of date.
(2012-09-23, 01:16 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Alex is referring to an incident similar to that which happened in June of 2011 where a malicious hacker gained access to mybb.com and replaced the MyBB download package with one with malicious code.

I doubt we'll be adding automatic updates but 2.0 will most likely have a system similar to what Wordpress does where it allows you to update your forum if it's out of date.

I'm sure if you guys secured you had a secure SVN with correct access etc, it would be fine.

Also I was thinking about, the merge system, maybe include this with the download so when you go to install it can ask you if you want to merge.
Pages: 1 2