MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Most former members merged as guests instead of registered users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I successfully merged my BBpress forum into Mybb. Thanks for the excellent guide; I am not a techie and was able to do this by following your very helpful guide.

The merge went well. I did the merge 3 days ago. I am going to try and give as much information as I can to make this easier for anyone who can help. I so appreciate the support here thus far and want to make helping me as easy as possible.

I just have one problem. I am not sure, but many of my previous member merged over as "guest" users and a small minority merged as "registered" users. I can't remember if right after the merge it showed everyone as "guests" with no "registered" users, sorry. I am about 80% sure the problem existed right after the merge, ie I had some former members who were "guests" while others were "registered" right from the start - but I can not say 100% for sure.

Regarding who is displaying as a "guest" and who is "registered" user - It is really sporadic who is a "guest" user and who is "registered" user and I can not make any correlation as to what it may be related to. In fact, I can not see any rhyme or reason behind it.

For example one active member has logged into Mybb has posted but he is still a "guest" user. Other the other hand, there are members who have visited the forum since the merge, not put any posts up since the merge and they are "registered" and show their registration dates as the dates they registered with the old software, some 2 plus years ago to present. Some users have avatars as "guests", some users have avatars as "registered". There is nothing I can see that users do to make the change -be it logging in, viewing, posting, loading an avatar, etc. I also can not think of any software changes we made on BBpress which may have caused this, and I do not think it could be that because there are members showing as "registered" well beyond any BBpress changes were made and some showing as "guests" before big changes on the old software.

I can say there is no one who shows as "registered" who has not visited the forum since the merge if that helps. On the other hand, there are many who have been very active and are still "guests"

The ratio of users is about 1000 "guests" and about 40 "registered". About 15 or so of the users displaying as "registered" I know for a fact have registered after the merge so they have no involvement with the old software.

My goal is to get everyone to a "registered" user so I can limit what "guests" can do. If I place limitations on "guests" now, I am essentially locking out the vast majority of my members.

if this helps, when these users who are considered "guests" go to register, it says their username is taken so the software does recognize them and their name, it just doesn't recognize them as a "registered" user and instead recognizes them as a "guest" user.

Any fix that moves all these "guests" users to "registered" users is welcome. I am crossing my fingers that I am missing something that is a Captain Obvious sort of thing.

Again, thank you for all everyone does here. It was the great support you all give Mybb that made my new forum software decision.
Oky
I have realized the users did not merge - their names are listed but all their data dd not move so they re considered guests.
I have tried to remerge them and set the default to 100 a page to see if they were merging and it is stuck on the the first group of 100

Disregard
If I can figure out to change the gid of a user, I can fix this