MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems upgrading from MyBB 1.6.4 to 1.6.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!

I'm currently using MyBB 1.6.4, using the host Phpzilla. I'm using VistaPanel for my FTP.

I wanted to upgrade to MyBB 1.6.8, and I found the upgrading tutorial page (http://docs.mybb.com/Upgrading.html), which helped a lot. I successfully backed up my files and deactivated my plugins, but when I got to the actual upgrading I ran into a problem.

I did as it said here:

Quote:Open your forum's home page in your web browser and add /install/ to the URL. For example, www.yourdomain.com/install/ or www.yourdomain.com/forum/install/

but instead of the drop down list that it mentioned,

Quote:You should see a drop down list asking what version of MyBB you're upgrading from.

the URL changed completely into this: http://6821520210501848.securesignupoffers.org/e/, and that site came up. BitDefender considered it unsafe, so I'm assuming it's an ad or popup of some sort.

If the URL isn't working (it isn't for me, I guess it only comes up when I type "/install/" into my forum URL), here's the screenshot:

[Image: screen10.jpg]

It doesn't go away, although the picture changes occasionally. Clicking on it just leads to that hosting site. I tried retyping the "/install/" at the end of my URL several times, making sure the text was accurate and it still comes up as that. It even came up when I made it "/forum/install/". This comes up on every computer and browser.

As a last ditch effort I tried uploading the upgrade file into my FTP and attempted to remove the "lock" file mentioned here:

Quote:Use an FTP program or a file manager to remove the ./install/lock file.

...but I couldn't find "lock". I found the install folder, but not the "lock" file.

I would really appreciate it if someone helped me with this. I can't really do much to my forum if this isn't resolved, because there's a bug I'm having trouble with (the one where you constantly have to login); I did follow the tutorial for this bug as well, which helped, but it's still coming up often and it's really limiting, however I think upgrading might help resolve the issue.

So, all in all, I really need to upgrade as soon as possible. If I can get past this problem with the weird pop up, then it'll be smooth sailing and I can figure it out from there by following the rest of the installation instructions.

Thanks for your time! Big Grin
What is your site url?
luxspelunca.phpzilla.net
hmm, ok, where did you put the upgrade php from the mybb package?
It's actually 1.6.2. My bad. Rolleyes

The entire package is both downloaded on my computer and on my Forum's FTP (VistaPanel), so I imagine the upgrade php is in both of those. It's also unzipped.

Quick question that just occurred to me...I am supposed to download it to my FTP, correct? If so, was I supposed to delete everything on there and replace it with the new upgrade package?

Quote:Upload ALL of the files and folders inside the package (from inside the "Upload" folder if using the latest version/full package), including the ./install/ folder (if it exists), overwriting the existing copies of the files in your file system.

I guess that's what the instructions say to do there...? Basically replace everything in my FTP? At the moment it's just an additional directory. Is that the problem?

From what I can tell, I followed all of the steps up to that point accurately...:/

Thank you for your help so far! Smile
well, it's in an additional directory? Which directory?

If you feel you can trust me with your FTP and ACP I can have a look for you, but the idea is to upload the new package so it overwrites the existing files. You can PM me details if you like.

If you have a customized avatar gallery then it is best not to overwrite those, same with inc/config.php.
Right, sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but I've been a bit busy.

I'll PM you with the details. Smile
That is now fixed for you. For future upgrades, please bear in mind:

1) You have to OVERWRITE the existing files. You had the new upload package in a folder below the current installation

2) The path to the upgrade script will be www.yourdomain/install/upgrade.php

Enjoy your MyBB installation Big Grin
Thanks so much! Big Grin