MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB and WebCache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Check this out. I googled a site name (I do on occasion to see what others are saying) and found a thread that I clicked and it wouldn't let me see it because it was in the mod section of a forum. So I clicked the cached link and it showed me the thread in their mod section.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=us

I realise this is not a MyBB forum that I am linking to, but can our admin and mod sections on our forums also be seen in a cached view or has MyBB got this covered?
MyBB doesn't set any special permissions for spiders. They respect the permissions of the usergroup they're in. By default this is the guest group.

If an administrator creates a usergroup (E.g. Spiders & Bots) which allows access to all forums, and sets each spider/bot to be a member of that group, then yes, the spider will be able to access and index those forums.
I am not sure if im correct on this but i do know is that if you for example have latest threads etc. And dont filter it out based on user group users can still click those thread to go to the link.

Atleast i think guest could *ponders*

Could also be completely wrong.

Also slightly off topic:

Quote:If an administrator creates a usergroup (E.g. Spiders & Bots) which allows access to all forums, and sets each spider/bot to be a member of that group, then yes, the spider will be able to access and index those forums.

Doesnt this get you blacklisted?
Quote:Doesnt this get you blacklisted?

It is not recommended to do such thing.
(2012-09-24, 12:53 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If an administrator creates a usergroup (E.g. Spiders & Bots) which allows access to all forums, and sets each spider/bot to be a member of that group, then yes, the spider will be able to access and index those forums.

Doesnt this get you blacklisted?
How exactly would this get you blacklisted?
Spiders are supposed see your page exactly as normal guests do. Though HF does ignores this so I suppose it is not 100% a fact.
That's my point, normally google will raise A LOT of red flags the moment it detects you are not showing content equally to quest and registered users. And that's why i was wondering why this would even be allowed. I mean i know for example PHPBB sets googles bot to registered users automatically. Which shouldn't be allowed either.

I do sometimes wonder what google actually means by it. I a long time ago created a thread in the google webmasters section regarding this.
And their reaction all was its not allowed to do this:

you can set bots to have their own group so they have custom username styles, limit access even further, etc. you dont have to give them more access than a normal guest.

you also need to verify parent category/folder permissions. some of my mod forum stuff is out there since i had bad nested permissions. its fixed now
Quote:you can set bots to have their own group so they have custom username styles, limit access even further, etc. you dont have to give them more access than a normal guest.

Thats always been the thing that has confused me..

How come you seem to be able to get away with showing less.. but not with showing more :/