MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PhpBB 3 - original database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry i am unable to find the right title for the thread. I have installed mybb on my site and ready with the merge package to convert my old forum running on Phpbb 3.0.11...

I have not taken any back up of my old forum (phpbb). now, just tell me whether any changes wil be made to the original (old forum) by the merge software or not?

or is the old database data copied and put into the new database of MyBB only.... Please clarify me. because my old forum database is around 500 MB... and it would be painful to take a complete database.
The database is copied, it is not altered Smile
thank u paul. so i will go ahead with my conversion now Smile)))

Update: i just started the conversion an hour ago. i should congratulate the developers team for coming out with such a good conversion script. It works so well. I first had to choose my old forum name, then connect with the old forum database. And it did the conversion of users, then with the settings, user permissions.. everything one by one. The controls for conversion are robust. Like, we can control the number of posts at a time to be converted.

even we can PAUSE the conversion in between! sometime back, my internet connection went down. I panicked for a while that my conversion would get spoiled. But NO!! , it resumed from where it had stopped. Thanks a ton to developers here for coming out with such a good script.

And as i can observe posting in this forum, the functionalities are too good. Especially the quick edit, quick post. My host never offers MyBB on auto install. Yet, this is too good. This is no less to any commercial forum sofware. i love the layout also. it doesnt waste the space like the default phpbb forum. I am in love with myBB. I wasted about 5 years using phpbb. And whenever we had to upgrade, it was too painful for us.
I've got to admit that I am very impressed with mybb and I haven't even started using it yet. There seems to be so many advantages to mybb that it boggles the mind when compared to phpbb. I'm really anxious to get started using it.