MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It would be nice to have an additional.css
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think you missed what I was implying. If we just added everything that only added a little bit of load time it would all end up adding a lot of load time.
(2012-10-02, 04:40 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I think you missed what I was implying. If we just added everything that only added a little bit of load time it would all end up adding a lot of load time.

No I was disagreeing with your comment. The reason is that if you use the excuse to not add an important functions because it will add .0000001 seconds to the page load time you would be doing a great disservice to the product. Assuming that adding this feature adds that much time, you could add a million similar features and the page load time would still be such a small increase that a human would never notice it.
It's not about finding excuses for not adding 'important' functions it's about finding methods of introducing important functions in the right way.

This is a perfect example; why add an additional.css stylesheet when you can add in a re-order system which provides this functionality, prevents extra page load for those who don't need it and remains unobtrusive.

Of course this is just an example but I understand what Alex means. I reckon 1.8 will be up to 20% quicker than 1.6 but if we added functions without thinking about them we'd lose that performance boost.
(2012-10-02, 08:14 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]This is a perfect example; why add an additional.css stylesheet when you can add in a re-order system which provides this functionality, prevents extra page load for those who don't need it and remains unobtrusive.

Hi Tomm,

This is a simple answer, the reason to add an additional style sheet is to make the product much easier to use.

For example, when a member here asks how to make a change to a font size, we would tell them to add the following element to the additional.css style sheet, done. Using the the method you describe as better requires us to explain how to add another style sheet, make it the last style sheet to run and finally ask them to add the element to this newly created style sheet. Notice how your method is at least three time more complicated. Don't worry about adding .00001 seconds to the page load time, no one will ever notice, well except for that one user still using dial-up.
If someone asked me that question I would tell them to look into the global.css stylesheet for their theme and use the very easy-to-use editor to select the element from the list and change the font size.

Overriding just adds complexity to something that really isn't that difficult in the first place. In fact, it could cause issues later on when the user wants to change the font in the global style and wonders why it isn't working.
(2012-10-02, 12:46 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If someone asked me that question I would tell them to look into the global.css stylesheet for their theme and use the very easy-to-use editor to select the element from the list and change the font size.

Overriding just adds complexity to something that really isn't that difficult in the first place. In fact, it could cause issues later on when the user wants to change the font in the global style and wonders why it isn't working.

The problem with changing elements in the existing stylesheets is that your edits are difficult to document and find. It's best to leave the five stylesheets stock and make all the overrides in a separate css stylesheet where one knows all their css customizations are kept.
okay, then do that yourself.

add a new stylesheet, assign it to a non-existent page (e.g.: nothing.php), edit it the way you want and then link it directly in the headerinclude template below {$stylesheets}

that way you can use the built-in editor in the ACP and still have the file load last.
(2012-10-02, 04:51 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]okay, then do that yourself.

add a new stylesheet, assign it to a non-existent page (e.g.: nothing.php), edit it the way you want and then link it directly in the headerinclude template below {$stylesheets}

that way you can use the built-in editor in the ACP and still have the file load last.

I have no problem with these steps, but it's way more complicated than it should be, especially for new forum admins.
its not too complicated if you dont want/need to use the ACP to edit the stylesheet. Create the CSS file on the server and then edit headerinclude to link it.

if an admin can't handle that, then they should really rethink their abilities to manage a successful forum/site
(2012-10-02, 03:18 PM)Andy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-02, 12:46 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If someone asked me that question I would tell them to look into the global.css stylesheet for their theme and use the very easy-to-use editor to select the element from the list and change the font size.

The problem with changing elements in the existing stylesheets is that your edits are difficult to document and find. It's best to leave the five stylesheets stock and make all the overrides in a separate css stylesheet where one knows all their css customizations are kept.

My suggestion would keep a copy of the original and use an editor that lets you compare files. Personally I just don't see the point of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4