MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Two independent forums - possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning,

I hope everybody is happy out there.

First of all, thanks a lot mybb - it is doing everything I was hoping it to do and it easy to administrate - well done.
It is the first forum software I tried and it seems I found the right one.

I have one question concerning setting up two totally independent forums based on the same MyBB installation. Is this possible?

All the best and once more thaks a lot for this great tool.

martin
What is it exactly that you want to do?

I don't completely understand.

Please elaborate.
Are you asking if you can have one set of files, but have multiple databases?
Normally you can do this by hacking the pages config.php or settings.php. Really those are the only 2 files that need to have changes. Although if you want the forums on seperate domains you will also need to get more involved. I don't see a reason not simply install multiple forums. However it does make it easier to update if you have just installation..but having only 2 forums is nothing...I have about a dozen I have to update. Still it doesn't take long.
I was curious on the opposite. Could you run two seperate forums on one database? I imagine this would be easier, but I wanted a little info on it from someone who would know!
I don't see a problem if you run them completely separately. Use a different table-prefix for each and it should be fine. But then again...what do I know! Smile
Two seperate forums on one database is simple, just as Kimmo explained.

However, through heavy modification you can actually have two different forums running off the same user table.

I've done this with a vBulletin a long time ago, but I have yet to do this with MyBB.

But like I said, it is heavy modification and takes a very long time to do.
Hello out there,

thanks for so much response and sorry for being unclear.
What i want to do is actually two independent bulletin boards without having to install
mybb twice. But i guess as explained two different table prefixes should do.
So thanks a lot for making this clear.

Cheers

martin