MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smtp setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I cannot setup smtp for the life of me, so whoever can guaranteed set it up, I am willing to pay. You must be trusted as you will have access to stuff I wouldn't let some little kid on. Hmu if you are interested.
What E-Mail provider are you sending mail from?
I'll recommend euantor. He setup'ed once for me.
I would like to use my own hosting to set it up if possible. as I have a dedicated server which has smtp and pop and all that good jazz. If you know how to get it to work it shouldn't be a problem but I can't get it to work.
Do you have SMTP and everything setup on the server already or does that need installing too?

I'd honestly advise looking at google apps were I you. I always use them to handle my mail for several reasons: simplicity, it takes load of your server and you get to use the gmail interface to access your mail.
(2012-10-09, 07:49 AM)Philly Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to use my own hosting to set it up if possible. as I have a dedicated server which has smtp and pop and all that good jazz. If you know how to get it to work it shouldn't be a problem but I can't get it to work.

Generally, If you're sending from a (name)@(domain).(ext) address, as long as it exists, there's no real problem.

PHPMail() is good in that respect.
(2012-10-09, 08:23 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have SMTP and everything setup on the server already or does that need installing too?

I'd honestly advise looking at google apps were I you. I always use them to handle my mail for several reasons: simplicity, it takes load of your server and you get to use the gmail interface to access your mail.

Yeah I have it setup it may not be right though because its not working which is why I am willing to pay with someone. With google apps it only allows like 50 emails at once right? I am mainly wanting to get this up to do some mass mailing to send to nearly 20k members.

(2012-10-09, 08:30 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-09, 07:49 AM)Philly Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to use my own hosting to set it up if possible. as I have a dedicated server which has smtp and pop and all that good jazz. If you know how to get it to work it shouldn't be a problem but I can't get it to work.

Generally, If you're sending from a (name)@(domain).(ext) address, as long as it exists, there's no real problem.

PHPMail() is good in that respect.

I tested php on my forum around 5 hours ago, and still have yet to get the email I sent to myself. Member shave been reporting emails taking up to 30 minutes to get as well.
I'm not sure about any limits in place on google apps as I've never had to send mass mails seeing as I don't run any forums.

If you PM me what steps you've taken so far I might be able to help further.
Still looking to have this done... Hmu if you would like to attempt.
SMTP on your own server or using SMTP from third party sites like sendgrid or such?
Pages: 1 2