MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Subject line inconsistency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It appears that the field 'subject' has a length of 120 characters in both the threads and posts table. In the /inc/datahandlers/post.php file the following line makes it inconsistent:
if(my_strlen($subject) > 85)

That is on line 209. It should say 120 instead of 85. I had to edit the file on a forum I help run to fix it.

I wasn't sure where the bug site was so I posted it here.
We actually limit it to 85 and not 120. This is to save space for prefixes such as RE (including translations).

I think the issue you're talking about is about max lengths, which is fixed in 1.6.9.
It has a separate field in the thread table for the prefix ID. I don't think the prefix should affect it since it has a separate field for itself.
It has got nothing to do with thread prefixes; prefixes such as RE prepends the thread subject when you reply to a post. They are each set, in threads/posts, to 85 for consistency.
(2012-10-12, 01:37 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]It has got nothing to do with thread prefixes; prefixes such as RE prepends the thread subject when you reply to a post. They are each set, in threads/posts, to 85 for consistency.

now if we could get MyBB's newreply to auto fill the subject line with "re: ".substr($post['subject'], 0, 85-4); then we wold be set. i hate it when the "re: " pushes the subject over the limit and I have to edit it to be able to post.
As said, pavemen, that is fixed in 1.6.9.