MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBBShop - Would anybody be interested in this service?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello everybody.

I was just wondering if anybody would be interested in a service that would allow members to sell mybb plugins and themes to other members. 100% of profits would go directly to the seller's paypal account and all of the technical stuff (such as automatically allowing the user to download the file) would be handled by us. We would (of course) charge a very small fee to allow users to sell their plugins (probably around $5 for a lifetime license to sell as many products as they want). Maybe allowing 'seller' accounts to create a board for support of their plugin(s)
It's been done twice, the first it failed greatly. The second time is still going on right now, but not that succesfully. The problem came down is there are too many different sites currently that sell subscriptions for all of their plugins.
A member of our staff already tried this a year or two back but it as far as I recall it wasn't successful and ended up shutting down. Ironically, it was called MyBB Shop (Or something along those lines). Toungue
It was done a second time? I haven't heard of peep about it since Imad closed shop. I think the issue is subscriptions are hard to compete with. They are cheap and offer multiple plugins.
Ah, well thanks for letting me know this isn't such a great idea Toungue
What if at a certain price (per month, year, or lifetime) you got a subscription to tons of themes or plugins? They could either be in the same price, or different prices. That may be able to compete with solo authors.
(2012-10-14, 08:06 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]It's been done twice, the first it failed greatly. The second time is still going on right now, but not that succesfully. The problem came down is there are too many different sites currently that sell subscriptions for all of their plugins.

What second time? As far as I know it's been tried once only, and I've posted a link to the announcement thread in the 2nd post of this thread.
(2012-10-14, 08:12 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]What if at a certain price (per month, year, or lifetime) you got a subscription to tons of themes or plugins? They could either be in the same price, or different prices. That may be able to compete with solo authors.

Well you would need those authors to probably get the idea rolling. Not to mention most would have to provide a way of transferring the subscription to the new system.
Something that might work well is a MyBB Shop integrated as a plugin. The user could install the plugin on their forum and it would add a tab to the AdminCP. The person could use the tab to browse available plugins. From there, they could pay for a plugin and the script would automatically download it to the appropriate directory. This would be an all-in-one solution, so the person can easily and quickly get multiple plugins.
Pages: 1 2 3 4