MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem handling large cache update - "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone!

I had a terrible problem with my MyBB installation yesterday and having it been related to my host - I changed the hosts. Everything went okay with the files and the database (using bigdump), but I have a huge problems managing the forums.
My forum is actually a PBF game, so we have really a lot of forums - about 90. MyBB stores those forum permissions in a row in datacache and that's okay. When updating permissions for a forum, MyBB updates the caches as well, it's logical, but in my situation MyBB has so much data to fill the row with that it results in
    1153 - Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
Having taken a look at the query I found out it really is massive, is there any way I could "split" it or do anything else so that I'll be able to change the forums permissions on my board?

Thanks in advance. :)
shared host or vps/dedicated? run this query in phpmyadmin SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max_allowed_packet'
Shared host - running the query shows the limit is set to 1MB. I read that it is the default value in MySQL installations, but do You think asking the host about it could get it changed? The query is around 1,5-1,6 MB.