MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Weird iOS Mobile Safari bug affects MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 5V90r.jpg]

As you can see here, some images are randomly switched position ... there are unread icons in the menu even though the forums are read, the background image is bizarre, etc.

I'm not the only one to suffer this problem:

http://tech.vg.no/2011/12/14/safari-on-i...es-images/

... though unfortunately I cannot understand their explanation at all.

I'm posting this here because I'm not convinced it's a MyBB bug. Just wondering if anyone else has experience it or has any thoughts on it.
Based on the blog post it has nothing to do with MyBB (especially since it's completely random). It probably has to do with every mobile browser using cached proxied versions of whatever they can.
Well, I did say I didn't think this was a MyBB bug ... but it does affect MyBB. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it.
Long story short Brad, the article explains that Safari is using a technology that allows you to download several things at the same time, increasing load times. It appears Safari has an iOS 5 bug that will sometimes confuse what it's downloading, therefore switching the images.

MyBB, or any other site, can't do much about it Sad Apple needs to fix the bug.
I do get it on my iPad, occasionally, but on larger sites with lots of images. I've never came across it on MyBB before.
for a fix, perhaps you build a few subdomains that point to all the same root location on your server as www and deliver avatars from avatar.harajuju.net, attachments from uploads.haajuju.net, etc. This way the browser will not want to use pipelining, but it wont really impact you much.

however, this is not something a simple template edit can fix. template edits could make use of hardcoding the URLs instead of $mybb->settings['bburl'], but there are a few locations in the actual code that build URLs for you that you would need to locate.