MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vbulletin vs mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
guys we have already a gsm forum which is vbulletin licensed.. if ever i will use mybb, can i copy the database from vbulletin to mybb without any problems to encounter? as well as the members, users, and the posts?

some said that mybb is hackable.. how can i protect my site to hackers?

what is the difference also between vbulletin and mybb? the advantages and disadvantages of both..
(2012-10-18, 02:15 PM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]guys we have already a gsm forum which is vbulletin licensed.. if ever i will use mybb, can i copy the database from vbulletin to mybb without any problems to encounter? as well as the members, users, and the posts?

You'd have to use the Merge System to convert from vBulletin to MyBB.

(2012-10-18, 02:15 PM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]some said that mybb is hackable.. how can i protect my site to hackers?

Every piece of software you ever use is hackable. MyBB isn't an exception, but neither is vBulletin. In general basic security measures such as strong passwords and secure hosting will suffice. We take security very seriously here at MyBB with security patches being released within hours of discovery.

(2012-10-18, 02:15 PM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]what is the difference also between vbulletin and mybb? the advantages and disadvantages of both..

vBulletin is paid and MyBB is completely free and open source. MyBB, from my view, is easier to customize, lighter (I assume we can all agree on that), more efficient, and will always be free.

MyBB has a simple yet old fashioned templating system while vBulletin has, from what I've seen, quite a complex templating system which isn't so good for newbies.

vBulletin has commercial support, which people may argue is better because it is commercial. MyBB has free support, and members are supported by both members of the team and other members of the community.

You can view a list of features here: http://www.mybb.com/features

We're both world leaders in the forum software industry, at the end of the day it's what you feel most comfortable using.
Thank you very much sir for your nice information.. +rep to you..
Sir can you give me the tutorial on how to merge the vbulletin to mybb and anything to start as well as the templates and functions of the sections.. i am really a newbie with this.. my forum is already running for more 2 months and having 200 plus members.. i hope that theres no problem merging vbulletin to mybb.. i like mybb because it has lots of templates to be chosen..
(2012-10-18, 02:15 PM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]some said that mybb is hackable.. how can i protect my site to hackers?

Whoever admits that MyBB is hackable does not have enough knownledge to make an statement about computer security.
Basically, you cannot guarantee 100% security at your website, there will always be a security hole somewhere without you knowing about it. What you can do is to be on your watch and take distance from web applications you do not have proper knownledge about, such web apps that may cause a security breach.

I can trustworthy say that MyBB is as hackable as any other forum softwares available on the market. The chance of getting hacked bases on how you decide to manage and develop your website/forum, security is always step one.

Those few people who have had their MyBB forums hacked have been using an old plugin or vurnerable php files.

(2012-10-18, 02:15 PM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]what is the difference also between vbulletin and mybb? the advantages and disadvantages of both..

Well.. Basically,
The biggest difference is that vBulletin is commercial (paid license) and MyBB is free, open source (LGPL licensed).

Furthermore,
If you want to read reviews and get a full overview of all features for both forum softwares then this link might be helpful:
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...vbulletin4

In my opinion, MyBB suits my needs well and it's really lightweight and easy to integrate, administer, manage or extend. vBulletin in the other hand, is a bit "jailed" for developers.
In fact vbulletin is good forum software but its not like mybb
there is no plugins like mybb and its not support everything in mybb
(2012-10-19, 11:33 AM)Xbat Wrote: [ -> ]In fact vbulletin is [bloated/bad/horrible/disgusting/crap] forum software but its not like mybb
Added some better adjectives.
(2012-10-19, 04:09 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-19, 11:33 AM)Xbat Wrote: [ -> ]In fact vbulletin is [bloated/bad/horrible/disgusting/crap] forum software but its not like mybb

This is exactly one of the few reasons why people should not request reviews and opinions about a forum software on one of the compared software's own community forum. Mainly, because if the question is on this forum board, then obviously people will tell mybb is better and vice versa.

OP: If you want neutral reviews and opinions then i suggest you find a forum like webhostingtalk and ask people what software they prefer.
(2012-10-20, 08:57 AM)bowkilled Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-19, 04:09 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]

This is exactly one of the few reasons why people should not request reviews and opinions about a forum software on one of the compared software's own community forum. Mainly, because if the question is on this forum board, then obviously people will tell mybb is better and vice versa.

OP: If you want neutral reviews and opinions then i suggest you find a forum like webhostingtalk and ask people what software they prefer.

The problem with WHT is whenever I have gone there, it feels elite or corporate. I have a feeling that there may be a bias there, to be quite honest.
(2012-10-20, 04:37 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with WHT is whenever I have gone there, it feels elite or corporate. I have a feeling that there may be a bias there, to be quite honest.

But lets be honest, MyBB offic. / Vbulletin offic. forums are even more biased.

Atleast with a forum like that there are other forum software users. Something you generally dont have here, and even if the ones here do they generally are biased towards MyBB thats why asking the VS question here is never going to provide you with a balanced answer. From multiple perspectives.

Honestly i think the OPs thread title should be changed, since he/he is simply asking for information regarding MyBB. And not asking which one is better like the title would suggest.

Just wanting pro's and cons.

For MyBB:
  • Pros
    • Lightweight
    • Highly customizable
    • Simple and easy to understand template system
    • Good amount of free plugins and themes of high quality
  • Cons
    • No "great" integration options for popular CMS software's.
    • Lack of a highly customizable portal or plugins that would do so.
    • Quite outdated default theme
    • A bit to many options in the userCP (crowded) / not that good looking profile page.

Vbulletin
  • Pros
    • A lot of options regarding blogs, home page options etc.
    • More integration options.
    • All round better known i guess. More people are known with Vbulletin since a lot of forums run it. From just sites purely being a forum to company forums.
  • Cons
    • Its more then just a forum software. I has a lot of additional stuff added to the core concept. And depending on what you need that might be to much.
    • Its not as lightweight as MyBB
    • Its not free, its cheesy but true. You still have to pay a fair amount of money to run a Vbulletin forum.

In the end they are both great forum software's, and its really up to you what you need.
Try to ask on a few forums that are more neutral, if you want a more honest answer is the best advice though.

Since neither mybb.com's community or vbulletin.com's community can give you a honest enough answer. Both sites are biased and thats only good, meaning both software's are good enough to make people defend it.
(2012-10-20, 05:31 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]But lets be honest, MyBB offic. / Vbulletin offic. forums are even more biased.

While in theory I would say this correct, we're pretty fair here at MyBB. We regularly discuss the other forums and give them props when due.
Pages: 1 2