MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optimizing a forum for a large amount of users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am investing about a grand for adverts on high traffic sites for my forum.

What can i do to optimize my forum for large amounts of users and keep the site loading fast?

I've heard MyBB cannot support lots of users in the database without some heavy editing? How do i do this?

Thanks
(2012-10-20, 07:51 PM)BH.RS Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard MyBB cannot support lots of users in the database without some heavy editing? How do i do this?

MyBB runs fine on forums with hundreds of thousands, even millions of users. There are a lot of factors to take in to account. If you're expecting a heavy amount of traffic, posts, and users I would highly advise buying a dedicated server and fine tuning it over a period of days where you start to gain more traffic.

Use a caching system, I would advise using APC with Xcache or memcached for storing MyBB's caches.

Use InnoDB for a table engine and Sphinx search as an alternative to MyBB's default search engine.

Don't install too many resource heavy plugins such a shoutboxes or AJAX based plugins.

I recommend CloudFlare, which is free, to serve as a CDN and cache resources from your site. It also acts as an extra layer of security against spammers and malicious users/servers.

...and lots more. If you search around you can find a lot of topics regarding performance and security. Smile
It's also worth noting that MyBB has a few extra features that can be disabled if you don't require them such as the breadcrumb multipage (adds a query or two when enabled), users viewing threads, users viewing forums etc.
(2012-10-20, 09:13 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]It's also worth noting that MyBB has a few extra features that can be disabled if you don't require them such as the breadcrumb multipage (adds a query or two when enabled), users viewing threads, users viewing forums etc.

Does that make a significant difference? Where can these be disabled?
(2012-10-20, 10:32 PM)BH.RS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-20, 09:13 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]It's also worth noting that MyBB has a few extra features that can be disabled if you don't require them such as the breadcrumb multipage (adds a query or two when enabled), users viewing threads, users viewing forums etc.

You can disable the viewing threads in ACP, Configuration, Show Thread Options, Users Browsing this Thread, and put no. For using viewing forums go to ACP, Configuration, Forum Display Options, Users Browsing this Forum, and put no.
(2012-10-20, 11:14 PM)MYBB GHOST Wrote: [ -> ]

You can disable the viewing threads in ACP, Configuration, Show Thread Options, Users Browsing this Thread, and put no. For using viewing forums go to ACP, Configuration, Forum Display Options, Users Browsing this Forum, and put no.

What Eunator was aiming at is a core edit. Thats the only way it would remove the queries from the page.
There is no on/off button as far as i know for multipage.
(2012-10-20, 11:24 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-20, 11:14 PM)MYBB GHOST Wrote: [ -> ]

What Eunator was aiming at is a core edit. Thats the only way it would remove the queries from the page.
There is no on/off button as far as i know for multipage.

There is an option to disable the breadcrumb multipage which was added a few versions back.
oops sorry, never saw it. Just found it though, but i have one question about it. Does it save one or two queries? Which is it?
(2012-10-21, 12:00 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]oops sorry, never saw it. Just found it though, but i have one question about it. Does it save one or two queries? Which is it?

I count at least two, but there may be four depending on if there are any threads in the specified forum or if the user can only view their own threads.
(2012-10-21, 12:13 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-21, 12:00 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]oops sorry, never saw it. Just found it though, but i have one question about it. Does it save one or two queries? Which is it?

I count at least two, but there may be four depending on if there are any threads in the specified forum or if the user can only view their own threads.

2 would have been enough for me to disable a feature like that Toungue

Ah well waist to have it on then.