MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking for MyBB Hosting Script, will pay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am currently looking for a MyBB Hosting Script in order to open my new service that will be launching.

Of course, you will be paid for this job.

What I require is someone who will write a script for me, including the requirements I need to run my service.
Just download MyBB 1.6.8 and edit it yourself, it really doesn't take that long...
So what happened to phpBB then, Giorgios?

And for the record, I advise you to run as far away from this as you can. Spork, here, runs a monopoly.
(2012-10-25, 07:56 PM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]So what happened to phpBB then, Giorgios?

And for the record, I advise you to run as far away from this as you can. Spork, here, runs a monopoly.

The only reason spork runs a monopoly is because he hasn't seen one person try to do this the correct way yet. You don't just go out and download a "script" and throw it up on your cPanel. You take the time to learn linux, PHP, MySQL, and all the pieces in between. Honestly, all you have to do is go through and edit a few places where it writes files or includes configuration files, it's not that hard at all... You can't blindly host something without knowing how it works. How are you going to support it, what if a customer complains, how is that ever going to be reliable? It irritates me and I think this is why people see a forum advertisement and go "oh free host, run away...".
Quote:You can't blindly host something without knowing how it works. How are you going to support it, what if a customer complains, how is that ever going to be reliable?

Um, yeah...

I bought H4P to keep it to the current staff team. Everyone knows everyone and we all welcome new users.

I'll concede that it was a steep learning curve, but I learnt it after I bought it.
(2012-10-25, 08:07 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, all you have to do is go through and edit a few places where it writes files or includes configuration files, it's not that hard at all...

You're oversimplifying things a bit here. Smile MyBB has many pitfalls for hosts like yours, and it's simple to miss one or more of them. People who know PHP may still fail at this if they don't know MyBB well enough. Even if you think you've thought of everything, you always have to expect the next issue right around the corner.
(2012-10-25, 09:25 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-25, 08:07 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, all you have to do is go through and edit a few places where it writes files or includes configuration files, it's not that hard at all...

You're oversimplifying things a bit here. Smile MyBB has many pitfalls for hosts like yours, and it's simple to miss one or more of them. People who know PHP may still fail at this if they don't know MyBB well enough. Even if you think you've thought of everything, you always have to expect the next issue right around the corner.

Are you saying you might have found something I overlooked? I think I accounted for it all...
(2012-10-25, 09:46 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying you might have found something I overlooked? I think I accounted for it all...

You mean apart from your guests allowed to post and public staff forum? Big Grin

No, I don't think I have (and you may delete the ohgodwhy* boards where I was testing out things Toungue). Unless you count admins being able to delete themselves and no way to recover without access to the DB. And also I didn't get any mail... but nothing security related, anyway. Not that I looked particularly hard...

The question is, did you account for it all on your own accord, or because I pointed out the issues in various places already... DodgyWink

The problem is, however, that there may be more of them lurking which we still just don't know about yet. There may be more of them in the future when PHP decides to add new features to its strings... which happens quite regularly (it's the main reason why eval is evil). And MyBB used to have this "it's not an issue if you need to be admin for it" policy...

Anyway, I fully agree with "you have to know how it works", I just don't agree with "it's not that hard at all". If I had to do it myself I'd probably chroot-jail all of it, that's how much I trust giving admin cp access to random people.
(2012-10-25, 10:14 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-25, 09:46 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying you might have found something I overlooked? I think I accounted for it all...

You mean apart from your guests allowed to post and public staff forum? Big Grin

No, I don't think I have (and you may delete the ohgodwhy* boards where I was testing out things Toungue). Unless you count admins being able to delete themselves and no way to recover without access to the DB. And also I didn't get any mail... but nothing security related, anyway. Not that I looked particularly hard...

The question is, did you account for it all on your own accord, or because I pointed out the issues in various places already... DodgyWink

The problem is, however, that there may be more of them lurking which we still just don't know about yet. There may be more of them in the future when PHP decides to add new features to its strings... which happens quite regularly (it's the main reason why eval is evil). And MyBB used to have this "it's not an issue if you need to be admin for it" policy...

Anyway, I fully agree with "you have to know how it works", I just don't agree with "it's not that hard at all". If I had to do it myself I'd probably chroot-jail all of it, that's how much I trust giving admin cp access to random people.

I was tinkering with permissions, what's why the staff forum became visible... I have no reason to upgrade my php version really, but I do keep a close eye on it. Also, if you note in the AdminCP, I removed a lot of the "dangerous" settings Wink
(2012-10-25, 01:39 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]Just download MyBB 1.6.8 and edit it yourself, it really doesn't take that long...

Is that how you did yours?
Pages: 1 2