MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Incomplete Backups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my database size is 23.83 MB, but whenever I do an auto backup or even try to backup through the ACP, the download is only around 5.0 MB half of the time. Sometimes, it will take a backup that's MUCH larger, which I assume is complete.

Is there any reason my backups seem to be getting cut off?

EDIT: I just checked the 5.0 MB backup, and there are tables missing even though I checked them when I made the backup.
What command are you using to do the backups? Or are you using something like phpMyAdmin? You may be reaching the php timeout period.

If you have a shell, run:
mysqldump -u user -p schema > file.sql
(2012-10-26, 02:36 AM)pandaa Wrote: [ -> ]So my database size is 23.83 MB, but whenever I do an auto backup or even try to backup through the ACP, the download is only around 5.0 MB half of the time. Sometimes, it will take a backup that's MUCH larger, which I assume is complete.

EDIT: I just checked the 5.0 MB backup, and there are tables missing even though I checked them when I made the backup.

You are better off doing your back ups from phpmyadmin.
(2012-10-26, 03:37 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-26, 02:36 AM)pandaa Wrote: [ -> ]So my database size is 23.83 MB, but whenever I do an auto backup or even try to backup through the ACP, the download is only around 5.0 MB half of the time. Sometimes, it will take a backup that's MUCH larger, which I assume is complete.

The shell method would be best. I would recommend avoiding phpMyAdmin if you need reliable backups.
(2012-10-26, 03:38 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-26, 03:37 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]

The shell method would be best. I would recommend avoiding phpMyAdmin if you need reliable backups.

Agreed since he is over 10 MB.
Sure enough, I counted and it's the same exact time as the PHP timeout length that the backup quits. I'll try the shell, thanks!
Is there a tutorial on how we can make backups via shell?
Very simple fix I just thought of. Add the following to the beginning of the backupdb.php module.

set_time_limit(0);
(2012-10-28, 12:47 AM)pandaa Wrote: [ -> ]Very simple fix I just thought of. Add the following to the beginning of the backupdb.php module.

set_time_limit(0);

I wouldn't advise putting it at 0, try something like 10 minutes.
(2012-10-28, 12:55 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-28, 12:47 AM)pandaa Wrote: [ -> ]Very simple fix I just thought of. Add the following to the beginning of the backupdb.php module.

set_time_limit(0);

I wouldn't advise putting it at 0, try something like 10 minutes.

Well seeing as it's not the global limit, but the limit to one file, I don't really see an harm in it. Confused