MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move the footer language select
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are making a core edit or using a plugin the only ways to accomplish moving the language select?

I wanted to move the language select from the footer to the header. I tried just moving the variable to the desired location in the desired template, but it didn't work (I'm assuming because the variable hadn't been eval()'d yet).

I did get it working by making a core file edit and moving the code block higher in the script; but I don't see core edits as good things, or at least not the desired approach IMO.

So this could even work as a more general question: whats the advised way of making changes similar to that outlined above? What if I was creating a theme and wanted to move things around for example; would it need to come with a plugin?

Thanks for reading.
hmm it should be able to be moved within the template. Did you update the caches after making the change, it could be that the template is cached
(2012-10-29, 11:13 PM)Dannymh Wrote: [ -> ]hmm it should be able to be moved within the template. Did you update the caches after making the change, it could be that the template is cached

Well, I was trying to move it to the header so it was a different template, and why I thought it was because the variable hadn't been eval'd yet. That's good to know though thanks.

As to the second point, I think I did, but upon trying to remember, I can't. I'm going to try that, but TBO I don't hold much hope that's the issue. It would be easy to fix if it were and I'd be happier Smile

Well, cleared the cache and no change. Well, not with that anyway. I did notice another small bug I was going to address got cleared up though so I'm glad you suggested that anyway lol.

But that did not do what I was shooting for unfortunately.

Thanks.
Can you paste the exact template edits you have done here and I will check it out

The other alternative is that this may need a plugin to work on post_page_output or pre_page_output

Dan
All I did was take the {$lang_select} variable from the footer template and moved it to the header template.

I got no results so I started looking for where it was eval'd (which is in global.php). If I move the code that shows the language select to the top of the script (around line 300) then it will work.

I like to avoid core edits, but I've never heard of a theme requiring a plugin alongside it, so I'm curious how things like this have been handled by others.

I also realized I could move it with css, but that can lead to browser issues sometimes. It's a decent alternative though.
hmm ok the only way you would be able to change that is maybe through a plugin then that changes global perhaps