MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to make my forum secure from hackers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please give me an idea and suggestions how to protect and secure my forum to hackers.. and how to make it run faster in browsing..

Thank you to the one who can give me ideas..
There's no physical way to keep hackers out. If they want in, they'll go for it.
Unplug the server. Problem solved.

On a realistic note, you can't. Keep everything up to date.
Use strong passwords.
(2012-10-31, 09:31 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Unplug the server. Problem solved.

Silly Tom, that doesn't stop rogue staff with physical server access!
But if the server isn't on, no damage can be caused Toungue
(2012-10-31, 02:26 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]But if the server isn't on, no damage can be caused Toungue

(2012-10-31, 02:13 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]with physical server access!
Ok, I suppose they could hit the motherboards Toungue
(2012-10-31, 07:46 AM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]Please give me an idea and suggestions how to protect and secure my forum to hackers.. and how to make it run faster in browsing..

Bear in mind that nothing is 100% secure. That being said, there are a few things that you can do on your end to beef up the security of your forum.

Imho the most important thing is to always keep up to date with the newest versions of your forum. The same goes for any other script/mod etc that you have running in your server space.

Another thing would be to keep strong passwords for your forum, ftp, db, CP etc and change them frequently. Make regular check ups of your server space and db and look for everything out of the ordinary. And do not forget to always backup your database and forum files too. SO no matter what happens you can always roll back to your most recent backup.

Do you have your own vps/dedicated box or are you on a shared host btw? If the latter all the precautions that you can take will be worthless if your server does no take security seriously.
(2012-10-31, 07:46 AM)3lidoffad Wrote: [ -> ]Please give me an idea and suggestions how to protect and secure my forum to hackers.. and how to make it run faster in browsing..

Keep your forum updated. Take updates when they come out.

Also be careful about adding modifications, look at the reviews first because some of them could do more harm than good.