MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smilies Missing on Post/Reply 1.2.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't get my smilies to work after upgrading from 1.1.8 to 1.2.1.

Finally, I got everything just where I wanted it, and I went to post a message. The smilies displayed but they didn't do anything (javascript error) and I couldn't click on them to insert them.

So, I re-uploaded all the jscript files, refreshed, and voila! It worked! I was able to post a message with a smiley.

Then, I went to post another reply, and they're gone! Not just not working with and error like before- there's no Smilies Box at all! (See attachment)

Troubleshooting:
-I've reuploaded pretty much all the 1.2.1 files again (minus the settings, images, and things like that)
-I created a new test account and that didn't work, either
-I checked the board config- smilies are allowed
-I checked each forum's config- smilies are allowed
-I've turned the above options off and on to re-write those settings to the config.
-I've cleared my browser cache and re-tried
-I posted a message with the "code" for the smiley,  like  :  -  )  and it posted it just fine, so it's not a permissions thing.
-I did not modify any templates that have anything to do with posting
-I tried my admin account and test account from work (MSIE) and from Home (FireFox) and have the problem in both locations
-My users claim they are not having a problem.

now what?  And yes, I'm using the "new reply" button, I'm not trying to do a quick reply.  It also doesn't work on a New Thread post

Because I used 2 accounts with 2 different levels of permissions on two different machines with two different browsers, I find it hard to believe that it's an account or workstation problem.  And because my users claim to be fine, it's not an obvious configuration/permissions problem.

-PHP Version 4.4.1
-MyBB: 1.2.1
-MySql 4.0.16

More information & URL with test acct name/PW can be PM'd to the support team on request.
Are you sure you have User CP -> Edit options -> Show the MyCode formatting options on the posting pages. set to checked? I see the bbcode table isn't there either so I guess it's that-
Okay, that fixed it temporarily- but maybe that points to a bigger problem I'm seeing:

Because I KNOW I had that checkbox checked.   When I edit a checkbox in the User CP, sometimes they don't stick.  This is especially true with the "Enable Daylight Savings Time correction." box.   I can check that box and save the profile, and the correct time shows, but *sometimes* when I edit the profile, the box will decide to uncheck itself and then I save the profile (not expecting something I didn't touch to change) and the time is off.

Why did that 'show mycode' setting change between the two posts I made, one right after the other?

Why did the test account I created not automatically have that setting set?  And why did I create a second account now and it does?

Sorry, these are just Rhetorical questions I'm asking about weird stuff that's been happening since the upgrade. Maybe there's a database writing issue?

For example, I've had weird ASCII characters appear in my customized AND non-customized templates. A capitol "A" with two dots over it.  And a weird Comma after one of the input boxes.

For the longest time the Admin CP had all these extra bullets in the left menu. Now they're gone. (and that was before and after I cleared cache, and on two different computers).

I'm just happy to have my smilies back. Thanks Crakter!
This is happening to me frequently, the smiles box keeps disappearing and the clock changes back an hour.

When I go to the User CP, the tick boxes that enable them have unticked themselves. Other members have reported the same error and there is another thread in the general support about it.
that's not good news, but at least I don't feel insane anymore :-)

Here's a new one. My users were wondering where the "new thread" icon went. When you hovered over where it should be, you could actually click on it. I took out the DIV statement and all was well, even though nothing in the css would have hidden it. Weird stuff.
I think I found the problem.
In inc/datahandlers/user.php
Find:
if($this->method == "insert" || (array_key_exists('showcodebuttons', $options) && $options['showcodebuttons'] != '0'))
Change to:
if($this->method == "insert" || (array_key_exists('showcodebuttons', $options) && $options['showcodebuttons'] != 0))
As it is intvaled above.
No, that doesn't fix anything. PHP is Loosely typed. It would be wrong if 0 is a numeric and I did $options['showcodebuttons'] !== '0' but, it would still work if i did $options['showcodebuttons'] != '0'
My members are now reporting this problem! I can only see the smilies if I use full edit, but then I can only see the ones in that box. Clicking on "more" at the bottom doesn't do anything (meaning it doesn't bring up that window with the complete list of smilies), so maybe it IS a javascript error? Any other suggestions, Crakter or Tiki?

But yes, the box wasn't checked, and once I clicked it, the smilies came back...and I also know that I never unchecked that box!