MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] Dietary Gaming Custom Template
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After being told that my site skin wasn't like a gaming theme should be, I waited till I thought there was enough of a community to create a custom theme. This is what I've came up with so far. It will be updated with all improvements and new things I add.

Forums:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54081213/r/dg/n...umpage.png

Homepage:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54081213/r/dg/dietwln.png
Don't take it hard, but if the first was not a gaming-style the second isn't neither, IMO.
(2012-11-05, 04:43 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Don't take it hard, but if the first was not a gaming-style the second isn't neither, IMO.

Can you explain what this means? What is "gaming style"?
(2012-11-05, 02:13 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-05, 04:43 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Don't take it hard, but if the first was not a gaming-style the second isn't neither, IMO.

Can you explain what this means? What is "gaming style"?

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/...practices/

Mainly the third section "Trends in game site designs".

But I agree with Omar, this isn't much different from your forum design, just a little bit more of the un-identifiable graphics added. Still doesn't feel like a gaming design to me.

That said I think it looks great. ^.^
I don't think I've ever seen any unofficial fansite/community with a website like the ones in the above link.
Weird, considering how many designs there are in that link. But regardless "gaming design" would just be the the current trend in popular gaming sites, seeing as design is mainly based on trends anyways (In addition to basic principles).

But here's one anyways, if you've never seen it: http://lol-game.ru/
Those are sites for commercial game releases. Not the same thing. Also, that article is from 2008, so any guidance it gives about trends is shaky at best.

That League of Legends site is incredibly tacky and slow. Personally, for indie gaming, something light and clean with a focus on imagery strikes me as a good balance. You guys have way too stereotypical, cliched notions of design.

That said, I don't think this design is there yet. It needs more work and more content. Making a non-community page the landing is risky as you might lose engagement, so you need to pull in content.
(2012-11-05, 03:23 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Those are sites for commercial game releases.

The main focus of the site is gaming, guess that means the layout should be considered gaming right, or should there be a whole new definition for commercial gaming designs?

(2012-11-05, 03:23 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]That League of Legends site is incredibly tacky and slow. Personally, for indie gaming, something light and clean with a focus on imagery strikes me as a good balance. You guys have way too stereotypical, cliched notions of design.

Loading speed has nothing to do with the discussion, just purely how "gaming" his design is, which I really feel like you're missing completely. It's a great design, light and easy on the eyes. Just not gaming. But I do think it's wrong for you to throw me in a group ("you guys") and judge my opinion of something. Especially when that's all I did, give an opinion (Oh and try to help out by linking to some text).
Right, why does it matter if the skin is a 'gaming' theme or not? Nothing really makes it a gaming theme apart from craze is about dark skins. Why does this mean Jason has to do the same? He doesn't. It is nice to see a new style to the gaming niche been done.
(2012-11-05, 04:02 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]The main focus of the site is gaming, guess that means the layout should be considered gaming right, or should there be a whole new definition for commercial gaming designs?

You don't think there's a difference between designing an ad for a single game and designing an accessible community relating to many different games? More pertinent examples would be 1up, NeoGAF, IGN, Gamespot, Giantbomb.

I just find this categorization of what is a gaming theme to be very, very lazy and reactionary. Designing around cliches is not a good design ethos.
Pages: 1 2 3 4