MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting up notification email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I set up the email notifications for my users? I don't want to be able to receive emails from the email address mybb uses to send notifications. I got an email address with my domain from Go Daddy. Thanks

Can anyone please help?
Guys, can anyone please help?
if you setup MyBB to use php mail, then it will be sent from your hosting account address, but with the return/reply info set to the address you configured as the admin email in the ACP

if you setup MyBB to use SMTP mail, then all mail is sent from the account/host you specify there.
I host my own Mybb on my VPS. I have a domain name. How would I set PHP email up. Thanks a lot man
if you want all mail to be sent from your domain name and from a specific email account in your hosting account, you should use SMTP mail. Its like setting up your email client to send/receive mail, you just specify a mail server, username, password, etc in the SMTP settings.

if you use PHP mail, that is built into PHP and you wont need to do anything, however the mails will get sent from [email protected] or [email protected] usually. Though the reply to and from in the mail front end may use whatever you set the admin email to in the MyBB ACP.

have you even setup MyBB and have it running on your hosting account yet? have you received any email notifications from your MyBB installation? if so, what is wrong with how they are?
I have set it up but the emails won't work. tbolmc.com so what must the mail settings be for php? So the email will be shown as [email protected] ?
No, the email will show the from/reply-to as the email address you setup in the ACP. If you check the message header of the raw email, the from will actually be "[email protected]" or "[email protected]"

Perhaps your host is not allowing php mail to be sent, or your notices are getting sent to your junk file.

If you enable PM notification by email and then send yourself a PM, do you get the notification? if not, switch to SMTP mail in the ACP.

First go to your control panel (hosting, not MyBB) and create a new email on your domain to send the notices. Then use that account and credentials to setup SMTP email in the MyBB ACP and try sending yourself an PM again (with notification by email enabled in your MyBB user CP)
(2012-11-12, 11:25 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]No, the email will show the from/reply-to as the email address you setup in the ACP. If you check the message header of the raw email, the from will actually be "[email protected]" or "[email protected]"

Perhaps your host is not allowing php mail to be sent, or your notices are getting sent to your junk file.

If you enable PM notification by email and then send yourself a PM, do you get the notification? if not, switch to SMTP mail in the ACP.

First go to your control panel (hosting, not MyBB) and create a new email on your domain to send the notices. Then use that account and credentials to setup SMTP email in the MyBB ACP and try sending yourself an PM again (with notification by email enabled in your MyBB user CP)
Just checked my spam folder and it was hiding there. It is being sent to spam for all my users that have tested it. (all gmail) Is there anything I can do? Sorry about this.
switch to SMTP mail
Will it prevent it being sent to spam?